Lighting: Compact Fluoroescents

If there are enough people, I can get a bulk deal on the items needed.

My company has an account that consumes LOTS at Turks, L&H and a few other places.

It would have to be on a pre-paid basis as I'm not willing to be stuck with gear and buyers that reneg on the deal.

If everyone could let me know what they want, we (my company) can leverage a deal.

Let me know.

Cheers - OziOscar.

But he did say that they can get ballasts (65W) for about $20.

Are these electronic ballasts or electromagnetic? I wouldn't mind changing my set of EM ones to electronic, as the buzzing which happens at times is irritating. I'd have thought for the 55W PL you'd need 55W ballasts, or you'd be overdriving the tubes.

If there are enough people, I can get a bulk deal on the items needed.

My company has an account that consumes LOTS at Turks, L&H and a few other places.

Would definitely be interested in parts to retrofit my hood, probably get the 4 sets of 55W PL.

Are you able to get pricing?

I still have yet to ring JR Turk. So I don't know if they are EM or Electronic ballasts... I would assume and hope that they are electronic. Again I still have to ask them to find this stuff out, as they didi not have any information of this type of stuff on Saturday. I want to try and ring them tomorrow so I can get more info on what they can get and prices - because maybe the guys they deal with know more about what is needed adn the right parts to get.

BTW: Anyone can ring JR Turk stores... they are wholesalers, and will sell to the public... It is just that I work in computers and can get trade prices.

JR Turk are no go for Compact Fluros... They said the Ballasts alone will be $50-100. He recommeded stick with the th Aquarium shop prices.

I'm in contact with another lighting wholsaler and they look more promising.

They have already given me quotes on Normal Fluros:

AuqaStar 10,000K 18W=$8.50 36W=$18.50

He's going to get back to me regarding Compact Fluro Hardware pricing.

Ok... Here the prices! for DIY Compact Fluro Parts!!!

----//----

This is the people I spoke to with today - the only web site that had CF parts listed:

http://www.pjwhite.com.au/ (Speak to Wendy - she helped me with prices)

They are in SA but you can order from them direct with Credit Card.

DIY Compact Fluro Parts Prices: (Code - Description - RRP exGST)

--?-- Quicktronic 1x55W Ballast 360x30x30mm $69.10

10471 Quicktronic 2x55W Ballast 423x30x30mm $79.00

09450 Lamp Holder 2G11 (non waterproof) Screw Down Terminals $2.58

09568 Plastic Clip (Tube Holder) $0.69

Shipping to Sydney $9 exGST (under 3kg)

----//----

As you can see the ballasts are quite expensive.

DIY 2ft CF Costs are $79.61 incGST each + Shipping

(1x 1x55W Ballast, 1x Lamp Holder, 1x Plastic Clip)

DIY 4ft CF Costs are $94.09 incGST each + shipping

(1x 2x55W Ballast, 2x Lamp Holder, 2x Plastic Clip)

----//----

You still have to:

- buy the 2G11 55W CF tubes (LAMS @ Paramatta ~$25 each)

- wire it up with suitable 240VAC wire (3core Earthed power lead, 2x paired 240vAC fly lead) (An Electrician should do this!)

- build a reflector - mylar coated 1mm aluminuim inverted 'U' shaped sheeting would suit

- Mount it into you hood

- Turn it on with a timer

NB: No waterpoof Lamp Holders are available in Australia.

----//----

So how do these prices compare:

DIY 2ft 1x55W +Shipping + 1x LAMS Tube = $113.61 incGST

DIY 4ft 2x55W +Shipping + 2x LAMS Tube = $153.09 incGST

LAMS @ Paramatta

Aqualina 2ft CF 1x55W tube = $117 + $25 tube = ~$142 incGST

Aqualina 4ft CF 2x55W tube = $180 + 2x$25 tube = ~$230 incGST

----//----

As you can see if you want to have a 4ft tank or even a 2ft with 2 CF tubes... it is very economical this way - as you would use a 2x55W Ballast!

I would assume these prices are expensive in Australia due to 'New Technology Syndrome', and as they are not widely available here or used.

This is in start contrast to http://www.ahsupply.com/ prices for the USA 110VAC DIY kit prices - where the USA uptake means lower prices.

I would pressume that in 12 months time, DIY CF Lighting will become cheaper as more and more enthusiests like me and you will buy the parts.

Cheers

Marko

marko! you have done well smile.gif , a question, what do you mean by this

As you can see if you want to have a 4ft tank or even a 2ft with 2 CF tubes... it is very economical this way - as you would use a 2x55W Ballast!

are you saying the diy way would be more economical or the lams way?

and also, has anyone heard from ben from age of aquariums as i think he would have very good prices.

thanks

have a look at the pricing... there is ~$80 in your pocket the DIY way for a 4ft light setup (or a 2ft twin tube)

It will get even more cheaper of you need to put 4 tubes in your hood - compared to LAMS aqualina prices.

And No Ben has not mentioned anything yet and the web (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/) is not listing any new lighting products.

this turn out to be 'not so cheap' sadsmiley02.gif but thanks for the info smile.gif

anyone try Power Compact - E40 base 14000K from http://www.reefonline.com.au ?

The Spectrum 14000K 130W Power Compact fluoro fits an E40 base socket, it has a built in ballast which runs directly from 240V AC mains supply. All you need is a E40 lamp holder wired to a 240V AC outlet.

this looks great and only cost $73 for the light and maybe $10 for the socket.

someone mentioned aquastars 18 watts for $8.50?? where do u get those prices, cheapest i paid is $11 at lighting store??? One word of advice always buy your fluros at lighting stores, MUCH CHEAPER!! IF THEY HAVENT GOT WHAT YOU NEED IN STOCK THEY CAN ORDER IT IN!! hope i was aloud to say that

DIY 4ft CF Costs are $94.09 incGST each + shipping

(1x 2x55W Ballast, 2x Lamp Holder, 2x Plastic Clip)

----//----

You still have to:

- buy the 2G11 55W CF tubes (LAMS @ Paramatta ~$25 each)

- wire it up with suitable 240VAC wire (3core Earthed power lead, 2x paired 240vAC fly lead) (An Electrician should do this!)

- build a reflector - mylar coated 1mm aluminuim inverted 'U' shaped sheeting would suit

- Mount it into you hood

- Turn it on with a timer

That's not too bad considering I already have the hood, just want to convert it from 3' fluro to 2 x 55W PL (which should fit, as 2 x 24W ones fit in 2.5' with room to spare). So just need the ballast, end caps and clips...

Thanks for the info.

someone mentioned aquastars 18 watts for $8.50?? where do u get those prices, cheapest i paid is $11 at lighting store??? One word of advice always buy your fluros at lighting stores, MUCH CHEAPER!! IF THEY HAVENT GOT WHAT YOU NEED IN STOCK THEY CAN ORDER IT IN!! hope i was aloud to say that

I may have mentioned it in another forum... but that was exGST pricing... so add 10%.

Yes PJ White did also quote me on the AquaStar 18W and 36W. $8.50 exGST is for the 18W and about $18.50 for the 36W.

Hi All,

I will have stock from early next week. Here are my prices on the aqualina compacts.

Compact prices

C12 $61.50 18W

C18 $85.00 36W

C24 $96.00 55W

C36 $125.00 2 x 36w

C48 $150.00 2 x 55w

C60 $190.00 2 x 55w +1 x 36w

C72 $220.00 3 x 55w

Compact tubes

10000k sunbright

36w $17.50

55w $22.50

10000k/actinic 50/50

36w $19.00

55w $24.50

If anyone is interested in placing a order please phone me on 07 3800 5592 or email ranchu@aquariumproducts.com.au. Bulk discount will apply to compact tubes.

Ben smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just for anyone who is interested in building a light unit themselves, as apposed to buying a full on reflector with fittings etc.

I just picked up my parts from TLE (electrical shop) and this is the cost

2x55W ELECTRONIC ballast - $51.50

2G11 Lampholder - 2 x $4.40

Metal Lamp clip - 4 x $0.83

Total cost to run 2 x 55W globes - $63.60

MUCH cheaper than i was quoted from other places biggrin.gif

Cheers

James

There is one in Artarmon near RNS Hospital, but I know there are a few around.

Archived