Aquarium plant selection

Chuckmeister

I'm just about ready to get all my bits and pieces this week, lights, soil etc.

I have a local guy here selling plants and this is his list (its a pdf)

I want to do a tank similar to this one I guess though I dont know from his list what is good for a medium light tank.

Anyone want to highlight a plant or 2 from his list I can research a little before I put in an order.

Chuck this is my selection from their list

Dwarf Blyxa - Blyxa japonica

Giant Blyxa - Blyxa auberti - fragile plant

Dwarf Sagittaria - Sagittaria subula

Dwarf Round and Narrow Chain Sword - Echinodorus sp.

Corkscrew Vallis - Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis

Giant Vallis - Vallisneria americana "gigantea"

Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus

There are probably others on the list but I will have a more thorough look tonight.

Ged

yeah I like that selection Ged.

I was looking at some Hemianthus callitrichoides "cuba" (dwarf baby tears) but I might not have enough light. Lights are supposed to come tomorrow (fri) so I'll have a better idea what they are like.

DSC00707_zpsn3dlkwbg.jpg

I might put a sword and some corkscrew val to cover the side drop, maybe some Dwarf Sagittaria in the front left.

And the right side a little wood, a few bits of small woomera rock I have, some Java fern and xmas moss. Maybe a couple of dwarf swords and some blyxa and have a section along the front carpeted with dwarf baby tears if I can.

Going to have to glue a bit of eggcrate on the filter uplift so leaves dont get sucked up and block it I guess too.

Edit - Hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis' and Hygrophila corymbosa 'stricta' look to be set on the list too.

How high is the forward facing plate sitting on the side drop? Will it sit high above the substrate?

Are you going to combat the chance some of your "dirt" will get carried away somehow?
(Maybe a gravel bed in that corner?)

I'm not too sure on the dirt to be honest, Duck. The soil I believe is granular so I'm hoping it wont be too bad. What breaks down over the years, I guess I'll just replace. There is about 65mm there so I'll put in an inch and a half and slope it into a mound (higher on the other side). The other thing I was considering is making a 2 or 3 inch break (fire break!!) and fill that zone with some aquaclay and then soil from that.

I'm basically going to plant out both ends..tall dense plants on the left to cover the filter, On the right I want some wood and general planting but I'll leave a small area in the middle unplanted to add a little depth and hopefully some grass type groundcover in those open areas.

Archived