Where to buy black sand

rowie

Hi

As the title states ive been looking for black sand for a few of my tanks and all i can find is 1mm silica.

I have been told about a black sand that gets used for sand blasting known as black diamond sand my concern is that it may be to course for my sand sifters as it is a blasting sand

Does anyone have any experience with this sand or know where i can get some decent black sand

Cheers rowie

yanke they only do natural sand colours and the smallest black they have is 1mm black gravel that i know of.

yeh i would be careful of that sand blasting stuff. im pretty sure that black diamond stuff is quite course.

the only black sand i could find when i was looking was Tahitian Moon sand.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4776

cheers i want it for my karilani coppers tank as i'm re housing them in a 6x2x2

joller i got the 1mm silica ordered in for me i still have 3 10kg bags i'll be looking to sell if i can get some proper sand if you want it

• 2 weeks later...

I have found some moon sand a little closer to home (1km to be exact)

Now i noticed that they sell dry sand and also wet sand containing beneficial bacteria with a price of $25 for the dry and $35 for the wet sand. is there any real benefit in the wet sand if the tank its going into has been running for 3 years i only ask as they haven't got any dry sand till january next year

Cheers

Rowie

I think that the TMS is the best choice and has been used in Tang tanks for

ages now to great effect

I don't know about with or without bacteria option ........ I didn't realise bacteria

had an unlimited shelflife or is it a seeding additive :blink

you can get wet and dry bags the wet bags contain (as stated on the label) beneficial bacteria to get your tank cycling straight away it also has 2 little sachets in each bag 1 dechlorinator and 1 water purifier

not to sure about how beneficial the bacteria in there is which is why i asked as its the first time i've come across gravel that comes wet in the bag

yeah, you can use it on a cycled tank but if you are a bit unsure, the best bet it to put it in a bucket and run the hose through it for 10 mins to washout/kill all the bacteria.

i know people with marine tanks that add the live sand to cycled tanks so i guess it wouldnt hurt fresh water.

Archived