Nitrate level when cycling

stewiefishing

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, and am having some cycling issues.

Back story.

I purchased a 6x2x2 ft tank 3 weeks ago with no filter and was planning on setting it up with a new canister filter and letting it cycle without fish.

To my surprise when i went to pick up the tank it still had fish in it. (the person who had agreed to take the fish failed to pick them up. (a win for me)

Fist list:

Sail fin Pleco approx 150mm

2 fire mouth

3 Convicts

4 Blue acara

1 Blue eye approx 180mm

I since purchased two male peacocks from LFS as they were very cheap and i couldnt help myself.

So where im at now. I purchase a canister filter 1100 LPH set it all up put in the fish and added some good bacteria from the LFS.

Its now been three weeks i have been conducting 25% water changes and testing the water for ammonia and Nitrites.

So here is my first question

when should things start to settle and start to look after them selves?

The latest test results are:

• No2 0.3ppm
  • Between 0 and .25 ppm
  • PH 7.9
  • TDS 405ppm

I will figure out how to use photobucket and put some photos up as well.

Thanks all

looks good bit of a American and Africa mix of fish

similar readings I always get.

convicts and acaras will probably fight did for me when I had them a few years back.

I keep a jack Dempsey pair and there offspring with my Africans male Dempsey does his thing and every one leaves him to it female gets a bit nasty when she has young about but just patrols her young.

Well things are looking great this morning two of the convicts seem to be pairing up. Spending all there time together it looks like the may even be making them selves a home under a rock. So ill take that as a good sign of that they are happy in there new tank!

Nice looking tank Stewie :thumb

what you keep together is personal preference some may agree some may not

if the fish are happy and you are happy that's all that matters

just keep checking your levels and don't overfeed

hold back on impulse buying for a few more weeks :happy:

I find the color of the api ammonia test hard to distinguish. Every time I test my tank it always seems closer to .25 light green than zero yellow.

I test my tap water which is zero ammonia and compare to my tank test and the color is the same.

Take the cap off and look down the tube...strong yellow.

Hold the tube near the white background of card...off yellow, slightly green.

Thanks for all your reply's.

I have retested the water and both the ammonia and No2. levels are dropping ammonia almost 0 and NO2 under .25ppm. HAPPY DAYS :woohoo:

The Firemouths are now pairing up and their colours are really starting to show.

(I have been motoring the power consumption of my different appliances (filter,Heater,ect) i will find the correct place and post the results)

Archived