and they are always together but today they were not

have some wood in the tank so I looked on the other side

of the wood and there she was with about 50eggs

only 3 days in the tank and they have eggs

and they are 100% perfectly straight pair

now to see how the fry come out

yanke

p.s. ill get some pic. later of the pair and put them up

Good stuff Paul, they should lay on a regular basis from now on, just need tanks to raise them, i found the most successful way is to take the fry away once they become free swimming, fry can take newly hatched brine shrimp ok and if you can get your hands on some micro worm as starter foods for about the first 3-4 weeks then micro pellets and ground up fake from there on untill they can take Blood worm, Mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp for some variety, good luck :woohoo::clap:thumbup:

I would be interested in how the fry turn out ... I discontinued breeding Elliotti around 5 years ago because of the continual recessive gene that causes spinal deformities ... prior to that decision I secured additional stock from both Vic and Qld ... the breeding colonies that I was using then were not allowed to interbreed ( and I do know for certain that they were not from the same blood lines) The fish room diary that I keep shows that I only cross bred two times over 3 years of time due to the fact that the fry from these pairs did not display the recessive deformities (even after 12 months) ... I still have 7 of these stock, however they reside in one of display aqua inside the house and any breeding that now goes on is fodder for the aqua inhabitants ... a very beautiful Cichlid IMO

hi

well the deformity caused by a parasitic worm and have found some thing that helps keeps it in check

and give a 99% straight fry

the worm happens in the first 3-6 day of the fry life

that is what I have been told now to see if it works and if it works

then maybe we can all have straight fry and that will be good for all

let u know what happens

All of the founding stock to the best of my knowledge had slight spinal deformities.

The aquarium strain overseas also has the same spinal deformity.

I am dubious about the parasitic worm theory, but quite willing to learn more about this theory.

I am also curious to see photos of specimens deformity free.

Every one I have seen that was said to be deformity free still had a slight kink.

I bred the first ones in Qld and did not notice the deformity until a friend I gave fry to mentioned the fry had it.

I checked my adults and sure enough it was there.

Euan Edwards and "Yanke" ... the 7 E. Cichlids that I currently have in the display aqua are NOT 100% free of body shape issues they are the best of what I bred back then ... when I was breeding them all the juveniles were rigorously screened under very strong lighting in their 200L grown out aqua. It was my contention at the time (and still is) that under such lighting of the stock you should be able to discern and to see through their bodies and observe where there are issues of the spine. As they mature their lateral line will also indicate these. The 7 current individuals are not perfect BUT are pretty good IMO. I will also be interested in the outcome of your theory on the "worm" "Yanke" and look forward to seeing some pics ... Cheers Guys

Archived