My Hongi is holding!

DWC

You beauty :lol1:

How long do they hold for, and is it better to strip her or let her release( has bred for previous owner)?

Funny thing is, when I noticed Hongi was holding, I found a fry about 5mm swimming around the rocks.

It's not being guarded by anyone, but has been eyed off by a few for dinner.

I'll try to put the female in a fry saver (have to make one now :lol3: ), so if I should strip her how many days?

She's only 1 or 2 days gone

It's a 6x2x2 with 3 Hongi,2 Arartus,2 Jewels,2 Brichardi,3 Fullerbourni,2 Yellows, Pleco, Red tail shark and a few

peacocks

Dave

If I want to keep fry I put the female in a fry saver (ice cream container one) with an agpipe floatie. Mine have always been good holders. Then I let her release when she's ready.

BTW which of your Hongi is the fish at the bottom? If you are after Hongi with more even barring I can help you.

If I want to keep fry I put the female in a fry saver (ice cream container one) with an agpipe floatie. Mine have always been good holders. Then I let her release when she's ready.

BTW which of your Hongi is the fish at the bottom? If you are after Hongi with more even barring I can help you.

As I said in another topic, I love my Hongis. I only got into cichlids about a year ago so

don't know how good they "used to be". I'd love to see pics of your fish if you've got them.

I'm about to try to set up some breeding tanks( after I clean the garage!) so I'll pm you when I'm ready for more.

Fish at the bottom is my dominant male, the other 2 are the holding female but I can't get a good photo.

Dave

IMO I would not be keeping fry from that male. I'll have a look as I'm likely to have some adult spares that would be better for you. And that would give you unrelated lines to your females too.

How much for an adult male.

apart from different barring,(wich I've only just noticed :roll ) whats wrong with him??

Dave

Nothing obvious from that piccy. Would need to see him or other pics. He may be just fine apart from the barring. But the barring would mean I would not breed from him, not when you can breed nicer fish. It's a cosmetic thing but if we don't try to keep the fish the best we can we lose quality.

Hongi a buck a cm including for my adults. I had a look in my tank earlier and I do have some nice subdom males there. How long are your fish? Would be best to give you one that was a suitable size, not too big or small.

Archived