buying a canister

bungholio

hi i want to buy a canister for a 4 foot which will be possibly holding up to 10 larger americans, like devils, firemouth, convicts, flowerhorns and severums(the dude at the LFS said they would be cool together and up to 10-15 in my tank huh.gif), so what kind of canister filter would you reccomend, want something as cheap as i can get. any help appreciated, thanks

adam

I suggest you go give the guy in the store a flying forehead slap.

Then i suggest you rethink your stocking ideas. Like maybe one red devil, one flowerhorn, or a mix of convicts, firemouths and severum.

Then for a cheap cannister, try www.aquariumproducts.com.au

Everyone,

Remember we are all civilised people and part of a very happy SCP family. We are here to help anyone and everyone where we can. Post sensibly and be nice or your post will be deleted and maybe your account along with it! tongue.gif If you don't have something nice/helpful to post then don't.

You showed great control there Ducksta laugh.gif

Hi Adam,

There is no chance of you being able to keep those or that many fish in that size tank.

I suggest you ask a few question like what type and how many American cichlids could I put in a 4 foot tank? What types of filtration do you recommend?

No one here will ever recommend you keep a flower horn. They are not a cichlid. They are a man made hybrid fish.

For filtration idea’s and the best prices please visit our supporters. You will find their links at the bottom left hand corner of the page, under Recommended Sites.

Cheers

hello ben, i didnt mean for the post to sound stupid, its just that i have had no experience with cichlids before and i was believing the dude at the lfs just like i believe everyone on this forum, i am aware that a flowerhorn is not a "real" cichlid, but does that then mean it is not a living creature, has it gone through pain to be a flowerhorn? i am not trying to be a smart-buM here but i just want some fish to get along well, no matter what genus or species, i appreciate ducksta's reply it helped alot, and i am sure to further investigate compatability issues as well as size. Thanks

Adam

OK, here's my advice:

If you're going to be keeping any of the larger south americans (and/or south american hybrid cichlid) such as the Red devil and their half bastardised cousin the Flowery..horn, a 4ft tank would be suitable for about 2 of them at full size! Both the Red devil and the flowerhorn will get up to 30-35cm big and thick too! At full size, u'd be able to keep 2 of these monster fish in a 4ft tank, PROVIDED u put a partition of some sort in the middle to separate the tank into 2 OR, you have a pair (ie male and female).

Buying a whole lot of small south americans of the former 'cichlasoma' family and growing them all up together in the same tank, won't mean u can keep more than 2 of them in ur size tank at their full size. As they get bigger, they will just start knocking the smallest and weakest ones off.... with you finally ending up with 1 or 2 fish. So, my adivce would be to save your money, and only buy what u can house at full size... ie 2 or 3 fish.

These fish eat a lot and produce copious amounts of waste.... hence in the long run, u'll need a decent size canister filter. For a 4ft tank, I'd suggest no less than an Eheim 2217 or a Via aqua 650 for those monster fish. Of course, while they are still young and small, (ie 2 fish in a 4ft tank), the filter might sound like an overkill, but trust me when I say U WILL NEED IT if you intend to keep these fish for the next 5-6years! Oh, and they grow quick too!

IF however, u don't like the idea of keeping only 2-3fish in a 4ft tank, I would suggest u go for the more placid species..... Ur LFS may not have these species, and may try to steer you towards whatever fish they have, but please be aware that when u buy a small red devil/oscar or any large aggressive fish from a shop and it becomes a problem in the future, shops will most likely not take them off you or will give u nothing to take them in.

Good luck.... and make an informed choice of fish for your first cichlid tank. The wrong fish in the tank, and u will be looking at WW3 happening in your tank.

kev

Archived