Substrate: Lime/Marble/Shell (008)

Hi All,

I am hopefully gettign new tanks soon and will be able to put my growing up colonies of fish into them. Before i do i was wondering what particualr substrate works best for keeping various fish happy and looking as good as can be.

So any suggestions on which substrate you have found is best with the following fish then please respond.

Mainganos

Hongi

Electric yellows

Cobolts

Mpanga

Acei (black body yellow tails)

Thanks in advance.

Mark

If they will be fry in the tanks i would keep it bare bottomed for ease of cleaning.

For dispaly i like crushed marble or Coral Sand or just sand. Some fish sift through it! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Otherwise most gravel looks good.

HTH

wazza

Hi Mark,

My personal preference has changed from coral sand to river sand. I would like to try and replicate their environment as much as possible. Maybe even mix it through with a few different grades of gravel?

I have to admit that I am guilty of putting no substrate in my grow out tanks blush.gif

Good luck

Sam.

Ps. That is a nice range of fish that you are getting.

i use larger sized gravel on a slope from the back of the tank to get a bit of height from my gravel say an inch and a half high at the back sloping toward the front maybe even two inch thn i cover in a mix of botany sand (flower power $5 for 25 kg) and river sand (same as before i think exact name is nepean river sand) i then mix shell grit through and then also just place some along the top gives a natural look one my big rocks are in

Most of my tanks are beach sand or lime sand or crushed coral. I like the buffering capacity of these. The lime sand is very fine though and if the depth is not kept at a minimum, then anaerobic pockets tend to form.

I agree that the fish like to sift throught the finer material. If you choose gravel, then maybe mix some coral pieces/crushed shell through it to help with maintaining the required pH/hardness. The colours of my fish do not seem to be affested by the lighter coloured substrate.

HTH

merjo

Hello!

I've used coral sand and some 'Cowra White 20mm' just to break up the bottom a bit and give the smaller fish somewhere to pick up food scraps if they can't feed well in the feeding frenzy at meal time. The coral sand gives good buffering afaik.

user posted image

Cheers - OziOscar.

PS - Sorry about the poor pic - it's from a cheapie fixed focus DV cam.

Thanks for all the responses, i picked up a bag of sand / gravel mix for $5 and 25 kg and think i will do as many of you suggested add either Coral Sand or marble chips through it to roughen up the texture and to also buffer the water as well.

Still don't have my tanks to put them in yet thoguh so that presents a problem.

Mark

Archived