Necessary to run suction screen?

Donny Brasco

Hi guys I'm just setting up a new tank for display males and I'm using a silicone/synthetic 3d background for this one.

I have just bought a nautalis 2700uv which has rather large pipes and I'm wondering if it will be ok to run the suction tube just open with no screen over it?

The suction will be located behind the background and currently (previous owner) has holes drilled into it so no fish will get in there.

I will be also cutting a small hole and meshing it up to allow a bit more flow to the suction but I'm just wondering if this is a big no no for the filters if I don't run the suction screen.

I have added a couple of pics below to show you what I mean.

Http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a561/forcedmotorworx/Mobile%20Uploads/20150326_200323_zps2j2ccsyd.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a561/forcedmotorworx/Mobile%20Uploads/20150326_200323_zps2j2ccsyd.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a561/forcedmotorworx/Mobile%20Uploads/20150326_200323_zps2j2ccsyd.jpg

If you think no gravel or hard bits/large particles will be sucked up then it should be ok. The screen functions to stop large bits of stuff jamming and or ruining the impellor and housing.

It probably would have been fine where I had it but I've decided against running the gear at the back, it's just to tricky to get right with this style background.

I'm just going to keep them in the tank your normal way at least then it's easy to service as well.

Is there any reason you can't put the strainer over the intake behind the background?

I'll be honest - apart from moving house, I haven't needed to move the intake hose on my canister in 7 years. (Hoses that detach from the bucket easily are the go.)
Even if you wanted to pull it down every year or two to run a brush/cleaner through it it wouldn't be too hard?

If I had a background that could hide it, I would stick it back there for sure.

Yeah there is space there it's more so sealing the sides and also keeping some sort of flow behind there for build up etc it was just to much mucking around for this tank. It's only going to be a temp tank till I can afford to get my custom tank made and make a polystyrene style background and then I'll worry about hiding everything.

Archived