Salt: salt additives

GTR73

I've done a search on this forum and can't really find comment on this subject, but was wondering if anyone can comment on the advantages, or the need, to add salt to an African setup? How much per litre? Does it need to be continually added with each water change? Is it totally necessary???

I know it's best to recreate their environment as best you can, but I'm unsure if it's a total necessity as an ongoing requirement? unsure.gif

Thanks.

Hi,

I did a bit of research into it over the net and one of the best sites I found was:

Salt mix DIY

I do not use all of the salts stated in the table, but add approx 6 tablespoons of salt (ensure not to use common table salt); 1 1/2 talbespoons of bi-carb soda; and 1 1/2 talbespoons of espon salts to a 200L water barrel which I use to make my water changes.

I know other people use similar quantities, whilst others buy the ready made salts. Its up to you, but doing a bit of research of the net might let you come to your own conclusion.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Clinton.

The addition of salt is normally added to alter the water chemistry of your tank to suit the fish species. I think you need to have a look at the hardness of the water that is coming out of your tap in the first place. This will give you an idea of what the your water chemsitry is like. Adjustments to the general hardness (GH) and the carbonate hardness (KH) can then be made to suit the fish that you have. Don't just use table salt as it will not alter the GH or KH of your water just the mineral composition. The use of marine salt like Anthony uses will adjust both the hardness and the pH. There are alternatives to adding salt to your tank. Using various rocks or substrates will also have the desired effect. If you are interested in duplicating the water chemistry accurately a test kit will assist.

Gerard

For most africans (providing you have a carbonate based substrate or shells in your filter etc) it is totally unnecessary IMHO. For beginners anyway I think it is more risky to do so. Higher pH = more toxic ammonia = dead fish.

See this discussion of the topic.

http://ace.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13039

Archived