Water Change Frequency

z18turbo

Hi All,

I currently change 50% (600 Litres) once a week from my 8x3x2. I am in the planning phase of an insulated room with a big tank (3000 litres/10x4x2.5) as an in wall tank between this fish room and the lounge. The room will not have a huge amount of space and I currently pre mix my change water in a 600 Litre tub and leave it to settle prior to pumping it into the tank. If I keep around this size tub it wont take up a lot of room and I could then up the water change routine to several a week to change the same amount of water as I am planning much better plumbing/drainage built in to the new tank.

Question is there an advantage to one 50% change V's say three 17% changes over the same time period (7 days). Filtration is currently planned to be a 5x2x2 sump and up possibly my 3 FX6s as mechanical returning thru under gravel jets.

Thanks,

Jarrod

Really if you are doing 50% water changes in a week either by a large water change or small...you are doing it too often imo.

I mean fish love fresh water but I doubt you will have any water issue's in a 7 day time frame.

I have an 8*3*2.5 with a 6*2*2 sump. Its reasonably stocked and I have never seen any water issues at all in the 10 years I've had it. I do a 1/3 water change once a month.

Greater water volume allows a greater reliablility in your water parameters and I've personally found that doing crazy amounts of water changes actually adds stress to the fish rather than helping them. My fish seem to repond better to the stable water parameters that they are in.

I mean if you are feeding your fish so much that its sitting on the bottom, uneaten and rotting then I would recommend regular vucuums and changes but otherwise, imo relax a little and enjoy the tank.

To put it into a little more context, I am considering building a 12*4*3 atm. I would still use my 6*2 sump without any issues on that tank and still only do 1/3 water changes every month...maybe 2. Will probably use side drops though...

If you are determined that you want to do constant large water turnovers you could also consider a persistant drip system that is plumbed outside.

I dont have much in my 8 footer atm, some caeruleus, christyi, some varients of peacocks, multipunctatus, sailfin, gold pleco and some smaller mbuna.

I have 2 ways of swinging atm with the 12 footer...make it a malawi tank and make the 8 footer a tropheus tank or I've always wanted to do a water bridge and join the 2 together for a massive L shaped malawi tank.

The length and width are currently set in stone but I have to make a decison on height. My door widths in my house are only 3 foot so if I make my tank taller I have to make it inside and if I move I would have to cut it apart...dont really want to have to do that lol

I just ordered some woodworking tools off e-bay today and spoke to a mate about getting some carbon fibre to dress up the front and then I'll probably start a construction thread here

Thanks for the feedback guys, have not considered the longer water change duration so something to think about. I have a fairly clean tank with powerheads keeping the water moving so minimal fish waste sitting, and I feed twice daily (Morning/Evening) with only as much as they can eat. lasts less than a minute and I have 3 fx6's and a Nautilus 2700 running on it with matrix/noodles/sponges and have only ever had nitrate up to 20. Main thing is that I will just plan for space for my current tub rather than trying to source and cram in anything bigger. I didn't plan properly with some aspects of the 8 footer setup (hence why I no longer have the sump on it) so trying to think of everything I can on this build.

As the others have said I can't wait to see a build thread on the 12 footer.

Thanks again,

Jarrod

Archived