New to Cichlids

ktime70

Finally, after 6 years of fishkeeping, and wanting some shellies, as of 6pm tonight, I have them. 6 Black Occies shipped from Noddie65 (thank you). I will get more pics after they settle in, so I can use the aquarium lighting, not the flash. Tank is a deep, wide 3 foot that used to house my cod. substrate is a mix of play sand, crushed coral and fine shell grit, with about 40 escargot shells. a couple of plants that will no doubt end up going into my 4 foot. Tank mates are a trio of guppies and their fry (The cod left them alone, and I haven't got round to moving them) and 6 Australian Rainbow fish for some movement at the top of the tank.

So far, colours are coming up, they are investigating territories, and one bigger, darker guy has staked a claim on the biggest shell pile. oh and some digging has started. The guppies are oblivious to the threat displays, and the rainbows are schooling nicely now. Anyway, here is my first photo... they will improve

20150130_191822_zps26ic8biy.jpeg

So these can be in a tank with common tropical fish ?

If they can I'm interested as I'm getting ready for a 80L 46x46x46 tank for the fish I had left over after switching to African Cichlids. (There in a 22L which is way too small)

No sorry they go with normal tropical fish unless the fish can handle a high pH. Also black occies can get stroppy so they really like a little more floor space than an 18" cube.

I managed to keep a breeding trio in a 2x18 for several months happy breeding happily until the male lost it and killed both girls. I probably wouldn't keep them in less than a 3x18x18 ensuring the are heaps of rocks as well shells to break the line of sight.

Cheers

Rosco

Archived