hi guys

malawigold

it turns out the old tank I just set up may have a very small leak time for some silicon ill just put on the outside tho

Be very careful mate. A leak through the silicone means there is a hole/gap. If this is because of poor tank construction or age, you may find the structural strength of the tank is very weak. Putting silicone on the outside may stop the leak and make you feel better, but the issue is still there..

I know you are on a budget, but the assurance of a new tank is your cheapest insurance..

The $150 you save now may cost you that in damages/losses if the tank breaks a seal.. I wouldnt chance it to be honest. You are better off doing it now while it is without livestock.

Its like putting a bandaid on a broken arm. Looks good, but the issue is still there.. If you are on a tight budget, M&S Aquariums in Moorebank does cheap stuff.. :smile:

Im not sure it is a leak now as opposed to water being spilled while filling and sitting under the tank as there less and less water coming out and my tank level hasn't dropped at all but I got a loan today so ill see what I can get potentially

Malawigold the hobby is ruled by cash and space so you make do with

where you sit in the scheme of things

if the budget is tight look to keep minimal number of species that you can

house correctly and provide the fish with the best conditions

minimum for a colony of Malawi is std 4ft but 4' x 18" x 18" preferred

keep a species tank if you breed to resell

fish like people have different personalities so what works with one may be

different for another also fish don't read so they may not follow convention

regarding the leaking tank - best thing is cut it down, clean it up and reseal

for the cost of a couple of tubes of silicone (acetic cure no mould inhibitors)

a bottle of Metho and some time

what area are you in ...... may be someone close that can help you

a lot of things about how slow some of the forums are compared to FB but

this shows the forums have the knowledge and FB has the newb's in a lot.

of cases

only 40 yrs of fishkeeping here so I'm still learning :yes:

Budget is tightish but have some room to move atm the better part of the next 12 months will a bit of a different story as I will be finishing up my nursing degree and then things will be good again so just trying to get set up now im in the hornsby area to answer your question on that subject

I will say that Anthony at River, reptile and reef is a very knowledgeable guy. I haven't been to his shop as it probably two hours from my house.

Anthony was president of the NSWCS for many years and knows his stuff. If the information came from him, I am surprised, but I think he is wrong on this one.

Remember all words are always advice,,,, some types of people show to be sensitive and take things the wrong way.

All info is good info, and as said if its wrong, others will correct it, and possibly make things even more clear.

FB is messy and misleading often, with agendas for selling to.

Lol, you found the world of cichlids, so many to have but space and money takes chunks of joy away hah ha.

I felt the same when I was younger living with mum and dad over 20 years ago and low on cash.

I now live on 4.5 acres and work in the building industry,,, now if I want it I just build it or buy it how ever I like,,,,, cashed up and truck loads of room for cichlids, stingrays, barramundi and koi.

I'll tell you a few things I did to quench my thirst when I was young living at home, apart from wee wEEing all my money up the wall on black beam cans lol.

I got myself a very thick book of Ad Konings edition,,, it takes for ever to read,,, but temperament description and behaviors with where each fish class fits in its ecological niche.

This knowledge helps with mixing fish in level strata's in tank and helps with knowing percentages of protein and protein types from vege to meat product for each specie.

But the book if you truly get bitten by the rift bug is really satisfying.

The other thing I did which is very clever if I do say so my self,,, lol, har, har, I got a dirt cheap huge tub and put it in the garage.

I filled it with all the things I desired, but any spawn that took place in there I ignored.

The one tank I was allowed to have was only a 4x2 but very high and was in my bedroom.

When ever I wanted to breed a certain type from the big tub outside, I'd just catch out all the males and females and inside they went.

Having 8-10 species to rotate keeps it alive, that's for sure.

When ever you get fry, think outside the square, ??? I collected unwanted esky's, you know how the rest goes..... :)

Na josh the info did not come from him he is one cool guy hard to get ahold of though he is really busy and buccal I think ill hunt down that book

Great book to read..

I have a lot of the Ad Konings series and they are very satisfying to read.. You will enjoy them..

Archived