Cichlid Show Tank

mjoconr

Hey yep that was the lady, she said that there had been 3 people (including me) who contacted her and visited that day. I talked to one of the guys, maybe we actual meet with out knowning.

Yer I'm only buying small, keeps the costs down and get to see them mature.

Mike

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nah wasn't me I went about 6pm but went today and bought 4 more for my show tank small to medium size show tank looking ok now but might have to sell my big blue peacock I got from Michael he a bit of a bully and causing most of the trouble in my tank at present.

yeah thought about that yesterday but he a crafty fellor cant catch him but the extra fish seems to have spread the aggression so every one doing ok I think and jack dempseys even have babys again ahhhh.

I've uploaded a couple extra photos.

Another Pseudotropheus demasoni

This is one of Six L. Demasoni there all very young so I'll have to wait for them to really show there colours.

Left end of my Sump

As I mentioned the sump is 160L, had a lot of trouble with noise initailly but replacing the Eheim with a Waveline DC-6000 got rid of the low frequency hum which was shaking the whole house and added a couple of Durso to the top of the down pipes.
I plan to build an Algi Scrubber that will fit between the water line and the top of the tank stand. There is more than enough room.
Cheers

Just a short 12 second video showing must of the fish in the tank. I suppose its a case of waiting a number of months for the fish to mature before really see the results.

Cheers

Mike

P.S. Should I keep posting ?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All
I have a little bit of a problem, as you can see from the image below I have the water from the tank dropping down into the sump and this goes though a layer of fine filter floss.
This is blocking up very quickly, two days a go I change it after it only being in the sump for 3 days.

Left end of my Sump

I have the media setup the way the LFS recommended, but after a lot of reading it seems as if the correct way would be to actual have the filter going from large to medium to fine material. (I do not have any medium) This would be a real pain from the point of changing/cleaning, also the fine filter would end up pushing its self under the glass wall in to the bubble trap.

What do other people do ? Any recommendations ? Maybe there is a better filter material.

The first sump segment is 24 x 39 cm

Mike

Yes,,, coarse first then medium then fine.

Large particles get trapped first then medium particles passes and gets trapped in medium.

This just leaves the fine particles only to get trapped in the wool.

I prefer not to use wool,,,, it works to well.

I prefer fine sponge sheeting cut to size x 7.

Every time the fine mechanical screen blocks,,, whip it out and put a new one in.

Throw spent ones in a foam box,, then once your down to last one or two,,, high pressure clean them all.

Some fine screens that aren't as fine as wool,,, may not get all particles for the first few days,,, but as it begins to catch particles, the particles build up on each other and keeps becoming more and more effective thus, longer lasting.

Your feeding habits/frequency may also impact on how fast your sump blocks.

I've had an explosion of a water snail, its in the sump only as I'm sure the Cichlids would take care of any in the tank.
Any idea what they are and if their a problem, they would seem to be very quick growing.
Thanks

Unknown Snail (Bottom)

Unknown Snail (Top)

Thanks for input, this is video from the USA but I do not think there 'Malaysian trumpet' because the tail is too short.

I actually think there what this guy calls pond snails which from the way he talks are actual worse.

They would have come off the plants unfortunately, at least they are not trumpet snails. I bought one bunch of thin val 10 years ago and my tanks (at times up to 42 tanks) have been plagued with trumpet snails ever since.

Copper sulfate works but it will eventually kill all the fish if you dose to often or go too hard at them. You could try and get clown or chain loaches they will do a bang up job of cleaning them up when they get large but it only controls the population. The only effective way I have found is to Copper sulphate, then drain the tanks and start again.

Good luck

Rosco

just a quick note you could try some thing like Snail Rid as it uses

copper sulphate but ........... NOT if there are catfish or loaches as

they react badly to it

basically Rosco is correct for the most effective way to be rid of them

I've been doing some reading and I'm not so sure about Clown Loaches. There water pH needs to be least than 7, my tank is 8 pH.

Are there any other speices which could do the job but are able to take 8pH

Cheers

While it's not the ideal pH for clowns many people do keep them in higher than 7. A slow drip feed will help reduce the chance of pH shock when adding them to your tank. I have a few friends who used to keep a tank with 6 clowns who would be "loaned" out amongst each other whenever one of them had a snail outbreak. Each time they were drip acclimated and the same when returned to their neutral tank. All six clowns made it to 15cm+ before they were sold off, so I guess it didn't do them too much harm.

Personally I used to keep young cichlids in my sump to wipe out any pond snail infestations. That's what you have by the way, pond snails. Eggs will look like little balls of jelly with white spots.

I have young cichlids in the main tank, so I suppose they will keep that clean. Yep I had worked out they where pond snails. :( there not that bad but still going to be a pain.

A product called Kusuri used for monthly parasite treatment for Discus.

Kusuri is safe for nearly all fish but not stingrays regardless of the instructions that it's ray safe.

Kusuri is lethal to snails and worms.

Google it. :)

Archived