What am i doing wrong?

Donny Brasco

Hey guys sorry to ask another question but im concerned im doing something wrong and havent been able to find a solid answer.

the tank in question is a 3 x14 x18 has roughly 10 juviniles in it at the moment and running a Nautilus 800 filter and i have also put in a small sponge filter and an air snake thing under the sand.
Even after a water change and cleaning out the filter i still have heaps of floaties in the water.
its a mix of all sorts of crap, un eaten food ect but i cant seem to get rid of it and the filter doesnt seem to be picking it up....
I have attached a ic of my 4ft turtle tank which is using a biopro 1200lph filter and has a small eastern long neck and generally about 5-10 feeder fish in it and its crystal clear all the time.

turtle tank literally crystal clear not a spec in sight

20150328_133111_zpsn1zgteem.jpg

20150328_133118_zpsv6cycjqw.jpg

water haizey and lots of particles floating around suspended through out the tank and lots of poo and uneaten food kicking up

20150328_133125_zps4k3aqucz.jpg

20150328_133134_zpshsu7qyok.jpg

Now i noticed last night when i was cleaning the filter and turned it all back on the outlet hose shot out a heap of muk which i tried to clean up as best i could, im guessing this is because i didnt clean the hoses?
But it seems weird that all the particles seem suspensed like there is no current in the tank at all, could this be my problem?

Uneaten food means you are feeding too much. Only feed as much as the fish can consume in a minute or so, if using sinking pellets then slowly drop the pellets in. Food should not be reaching the bottom.

If the water itself is cloudy that could indicate an algae bloom.

I agree with feeding to much not sure about food reaching the bottom I believe some fish like to suck threw sand in search for there food but imagine there tummys are probably as big as there eyes.

I definitely don't over feed, I feed 2 x a day morning and night and then only get a couple of punches. I normally feed them enough so that initial crazy reaction of food hitting the service is gone and they loose a bit of interest wouldn't even be about 30 secs. I'm just assuming it's Un eat in food but it may just all be crap.

I understand black will show up a lot more but this is alot more than you would expect.

Why not clean the filter? I normally do it about once a month all I do is pull the trays out and plonk them in a bucket of aquarium water I just drained out. Turf the muck in the bottom onto the garden put the trays back in and poor the old aquarium water back in oh and give the sponges a quick squeeze.

Does everyone else clean out the hoses while they are at it? I'm guessing that's where the majority of the muck came from cause when I first starter the filter again it shot out all this craP

In this one bottom tray has the black bio balls with some green foam next one has the noods with some green foam and the top one has black foam and white matt.

This is just a temp tank while I was putting my 3d background into my 4ft tank which I'll finish in a week or so and I have just bought a nautilus 2700uv for that which now looking at the size of the filter is massive overkill lol.

But I was going to try something different in that filter as it has 4 trays.

I was thinking put 3 layers of foam in the bottom next one seachem matrix next one the small rocky stuff aquaone supply next one noods and then last one noods which foam and a bag of purigen

In this one bottom tray has the black bio balls with some green foam next one has the noods with some green foam and the top one has black foam and white matt.

This is just a temp tank while I was putting my 3d background into my 4ft tank which I'll finish in a week or so and I have just bought a nautilus 2700uv for that which now looking at the size of the filter is massive overkill lol.

But I was going to try something different in that filter as it has 4 trays.

I was thinking put 3 layers of foam in the bottom next one seachem matrix next one the small rocky stuff aquaone supply next one noods and then last one noods which foam and a bag of purigen

I would put the foam and noodles first, they're designed as course mechanical filtration and will remove the largest bits of crud. Then I'd go for a finer mechanical filtration media (e.g. filter wool or Dacron) to remove the finer particles and make sure the water getting to the bio media is as clean as possible so it doesn't clog up. Last I'd have the matrix which is designed as a bio filtration media and the purigen.

Interesting I was under the impression the noods are for breeding bacteria not catching the muk.

Ok so looks like for the 2700 I'll put foam in the bottom. Then the noods, then the aquaone rocky stuff, then the matrix and a bag of purigen on top of that. And on top of each lay err of media I'll put a white pillow cotton stuff

Archived