8×2×2 thinning out my stock.

maniacyosh1986

Hey guys I'm new here and just got given a group of cichlids as a bloke has closed his tank. My tank is 8×2×2 running 3 foot sump and aqua 1 2700 filter aswell as internal sponge filter. With the blokes fish in this tank aswell it is full.

my stock list reads

breeding pair jags

Male 5 inch

Female 8 inch

Two red devil females 8 inch

Super green texas 8 inch

Gt x acara 8 inch

Festae female 6 inch

Festae male 5 inch

Trimac 7 inch

Flowerhorn 5 inch

4 convicts 3-4 inch

2 pleco and eel tailed catfish

Red tail shark and clown loach

blokes stock list

Breeding pair jags 25 cm each

Dovii 30cm

synspilum 20cm

I'm going to keep the dovii as i think he is stunted as he is 2-3 years old

I'm going to sell the big pair of jags the flowerhorn and the trimac.

With water changes to keep these fish happy I do a 40% per week is this enough. I feed them aqua munch colour advance, nls and blood worms also crickets and algae flakes. How do I get them to grow faster?

Cheers

Fishwerx sells a pellet called Marine Gold Pellet 52% protein.

It comes in sizes of micro pellet for fry right up to 8mm.

You'd want the 6mm and the size below also.

Packages come in all sizes from 1kg - 5kg.

I have 30+ mature stingrays that I feed this food to solely and marine gold works great as the rays need high sustenance.

I feed gold pellet to my peacock bass, jaguars and single bright red/tex flowerhorn,,,,,, as well as my predatory Malawi fish (but extremely sparingly with Malawi predatory fish).

New-era aegis pellet also does a great job with conditioning as a premium food.

(don't get carried away and bloat your fish).

Keeping nitrate levels as low as possible has the best effect on faster growth,,,, via water changes.

I think what your already doing is 90% already there to increase growth rates at best.

Yeah nice. Well my jags have just laid eggs and have taken about a 2 foot square of the tank. Everyone else is getting along fine so I'm happy. I have seen a lot of forums that say u can't have too many fish in a tank cause all hell will break loose but I have a peaceful setup even when breeding.

I suspect as soon as another pair takes up the other end you will have fireworks.
This might seem a bit pot/kettle because I have an overstocked American tank (mine is smaller) but I think that particular mix is headed for disaster - primarily because of the breeding pairs and potential pairs.
As far as growth and condition goes, as above. Good food and lots of water changes. At the moment I am doing up to 3 per week on my tank (growing some small fish in a divided end) of 25-40% each depending on if I can be bothered. A great positive of this is I just went away for a week and had no concerns knowing the water was top notch before I left.

Ok. I'm taking out the bigger jag pair as we speak and putting them in my 6×2 until sold. They have smashed my smaller jags and eaten the eggs. I have just sold 3 fish so it should calm down. I will start doing 3 changes a week. Do u gravel clean with every change as i do. Buccal I have just ordered some 6 mm marine gold. Cheap as on ebay. Thank you for all ur help guys. Do u guys think the dovii will grow much more? He is 2 to 3 years and only 12 inches

I do a gravel vac with most changes. Removing the solid waste makes the tank look better and ultimately is better than just removing nitrate in the liquid.
But, even when I cant be bothered with the vac - its easy to start the siphon and let the hose just drain water ready to replace. Then pump water back in. If you maintain with lots of care normally, when you feel lazy for a day you can do a "half arsed" change without feeling guilty :-)

most of them will work out a pecking order but...............

the 2 that can do the most damage are the Dovii and the Festae

and if they take a dislike to anything or each other it could turn

to carnage

Like Duck and Buccal say there is no way to tell their personalities

the Dovii can double in size as it ages check the link Pablo is a legend

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=171

Haha just read that. Yeah I know festae can be absolute terrors and I will definitely keep a close eye on the dovii. Right now the my big devil she is the boss. She pushes everyone around bar the female festae. When the devil comes she respects the festae even though she is 3 inches smaller. bf6d9a28c50337e17372f411cf548c59.jpg5bdc64de8e6de6a75fda835569edd9ea.jpg

Cheers Ged. Lol Yeah she may erupt one day. But for now it's really smooth sailing. Everyone's getting along. I'll post some pics of grinner my dovii soon. He's awesome. When we buy next year I'll be getting a 10×3×2.5 should fit all of them well. They just have to hold off on the big bang till then ;)

Archived