Gh reading through the roof!

Wattle tree

Hi, after some advice I decided to test my kh and gh readings.The kh was 7 but the gh was off the scale!I stopped adding drops after 23,meaning the reading would b over 23.Do you think that the test kit could b wrong,or is this possible?BTW my ph is 8.2 and no nitrite,unable to test my nitrates.

How old is the test kit, the good ones have an expiry date.

Another thing is do you add anyhting to your water and if so is it reacting with your substate or something else in the tank. I had the same issue years ago in my tank. Adding Seachem buffers and salts and having coral sand as substrate meant I was unable to measure gh as after 50 drops there was still no colour change.

Removed the coral sand and things went back to normal.

Hi I have crushed coral substrate,for about 3 years now and slate type rock that has been in there for about 6 years.I have been adding some Epsom salts at every second water change,but my readings where never that high.I have been slack I don't test the gh very often,probably haven't tested it for about 6 months as I have just put more fish in,but we are on tank water,always have been, could it be the runoff from the roof?

Sounds like you've been over dosing the Epsom.

The rain water should be neutral or acid, usually acid.

It's important to do your Maths before adding any GH KH modifyer.

Just do water changes every third day without adding modifyers and test every second water change,,,, keep on it till you reach the needed readings.

Fill a 2 liter milk bottle with your water supply source.

Add epsoms till it gets to where it needs to be,,, then record how much epsoms it took in teaspoons.

Calculate how much water you discard on a water change from your aquarium.

If its 25 liters discarded as a example, then divide 2 liters into it = 12.5 liters,,,, then x (times) it by the number of teaspoons it took to make the 2 liters correct with Epsoms initially.

Buy a new test kit if you've had it more than a year.

Hope you understand this.

Archived