Lighting: Recommended Fluoroescents

I have been using NEC HG 5000K (tri phosphor) and NEC HGX 5000K ("Quad" phosphor tubes). Both seem good to me - I prefer the colour of the latter (which is less yellow). Both cost around $11-15 ea at Bunnings for a 4' tube.

I've also used a cheaper triphosphor light from Phillips (don't remember the model) I think it was $6 or $7 for a 4' and it worked well also.

What do you use? How much was it? What do you think of it? Where do you buy it?

I use gro-lux... it is from a hydroponics store... I don't know how much it costs as i am still using my grandparents leftovers from their hydro set up...

They make elodea grow like crazy... and val... but my amazon sword seems content to not grow any taller... whenever it is left alone for long enough it is lush... but really short

jared

I use the NEC tri-phosphor. It gives a stong clear light that shows colours similar as one would see them if light by the sun, and is great for plant growth.

What you need to look at when purchasing a tube is the spectrum. If you want it to grow plants, it needs to have big (equal) spikes in blue and red, these are the colours that plants use.

They don’t use any of the green light within the spectrum, the reason plants (algae included) are green is because they reflect this light. What that means is, these lights that have large spikes in green, will make your plants look good, but in fact, won’t be helping them. The green in a light is added so people think, “oh, the plant looks lovely and green under this tube, I will buy it”…or words to that affect. If you purchase a tube, and the spectrum has a spike higher in green that the other colours (blue and red), it is being done with you in mind not the plant.

Look for a tube with a spectrum with even spikes in blue and red, and if there is green there too, then that will keep you and the plants happy.

Craig

I went to a few Bunngings stores around Sydney but the NEC aquarium light tubes for sale are only 2ft and 4ft, there's none 3ft available? huh.gif

I'm using Hagen Power-Gro in one of my planted tank and it works great for my plants & fish as well! I've used it for more than a year and the condition of the tube is still like brand-new~ =D

Those types of tubes are recommend to be replaced after 8-12 month or so, due to deterioration in the light they put out. They may look the same to you, but they won't be putting out the same quality of light.

Craig

Guest Gutty

I got a couple of actinic tubes i used to have over my display tank. Damn things cost like 50 bucks and do bugger all laugh.gif

Nah, seriously, they do make blue fish look really blue/purple/electric, but other than that they're pretty much just a rip off.

Got no idea what my white tubes are........

All tubes deteriorate with age. For a fish fish tank, this deterioration is not much of an issue, but for plants, it is something to bear in mind. If I remember correctly, NEC Tri phosphor reputedly keep the spectrum for around a year and a half before you need to change them. For a fish tank I expect they will last many years.

I like the actinic lights as a "sunrise/sunset" as it is easy on the fish's eyes, but no, they don't put out much light. You should see what a cardinal looks like under one though, I'm not sure if it's "Wow!" Or "Yuck!".

Craig

Kribbie -

Unless you're growing plants you dont need special "aquarium" lights.

The lights I've recommended above work fine :D!

Thanks Yew,

I'll go to Bunnings and take another look sometime next week, but I've been to at least 3 Bunnings and none got 3ft tubes for sale...At present, I'm using the old bio-flux tube on my 2nd hand 3ft light on my 3fter and it still works ok, will replace it if I've found the right one. smile.gif

Guest Gutty

Kribbie, why not try an electrical wholesaler ? there will be lots in the book, J.R.Turks is one company that comes to mind.

Cheap, and they have everything.

Guest Gutty

Have you been in there Craig ? I thought they genarally did more fancy types of lights, but i haven't been in there in a long while.

If you do go in there, ask for Ben, he's a lovely bloke and will help you if he can.(He's a customer of mine..............but obviuosly won't know me by Gutty).

Edit: forgot this was a sticky thread, any mods feel free to delete my chit chat.

Funny you should mention that. Yes they do do the "fancy lights" but as Ben Briguglio is my father in law ohmy.gif I can say confidently that he has them, as this is where I got them. He has recently moved.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You guys dont use aquarium lightings?

I havent any knowledge about lighing for fish tank, and never bought one.

If you buy your own light tube how do you hold it on the fish tank?

or do you get them housing things for your tubes from LFS which i see them have.

Kazaf, you get those "housing things" also known as reflectors from an LFS, I also heard of people making their own...

Cheers

Richard

Archived