please help a more than confused person, to sex Jaguar cichlids

Jova-rae

Hi everybody and anyone, I hope this question is in the right place and the photos get attached and not to big. I am trying to find out what gender these Jags are but after reading articles, looking at others pictures and turning the fish upside down to look at vents from a basic diagram -wish the fish vents were as simple as the diagram made out!! I am still confused what I actually have. I have seperated them as when they were first in the tank together, they lip locked for ages and I wasnt sure if this was a start of fighting or flirting. The darker one has a dark blue tinge sometimes around the dorsal fin and the paler one throws a red through its face and top half of body. Any help or advice would be very appericated.IMG_0744-Copy.jpg

IMG_074120-20Copy.jpg

IMG_074320-20Copy.jpg

I have a breeding pair,,, and they look identical to yours,,,, being the male shows a lot more silver/white and female shows more dark areas,,, my female also shows a purple/red hue color.

If yours are from same fry batch as each other, then the more silver one shows to be bigger as males grow bigger faster.

It is all in line to say there is a male and female.

At least once a month you should see genetalia pop out,,, the females egg tube will be stumpy and square ended compared to the skinny pointy ended fertilizing tube of the male.

Mine also lip lock,, and they have really messed each other up at times.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived