Display 6x2x2 and 8x2x2

JayT

Hi All,

The big move from QLD to Perth happens next week !

I will be setting up my two new African display tanks (a 6x2x2 and 8x2x2) over the following couple of weeks and would like to use both an external canister and internal powerhead in each tank - what would be your preference for each of these sized tanks ? i would like to stick to either Eheim or Fluval brands.

Also what sort of heater would be best ?

The 6x2x2 will be a mixed mbuna / haps / aulonocara tank with the 8x2x2 being predominately larger haps.

N.B. - being display tanks, they will be fairly heavily stocked.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards JayT

drill them , build a sump

failing that ehiem and fluval both good. depends what kind of turnover you want. the more the merrier IMO and the bigger the canister the better in tems of how much media you can get in there

eheim jager 300w , 2 in each (one for backup)

drill them , build a sump

failing that ehiem and fluval both good. depends what kind of turnover you want. the more the merrier IMO and the bigger the canister the better in tems of how much media you can get in there

eheim jager 300w , 2 in each (one for backup)

cheers

not going to go with a sump though for various reasons.

was more after specific models recommendations for each tank size and for both the cannister and internal powerhead - lets say i'm happy to pay good $'s for top quality hardware that will last and is quiet so not overly concerned with cost

x2 eheim jager 300w heaters for each tank hey - cheers will have a look

eheim 2260 is the only cannister i could recommend for tanks that size..

or multiple 2217's

and i wouldn't bother with any heater other than a eheim jager..

good size tanks btw

I recommend two smaller cannisters rather than one really big one for each tank, but at least 2 cannisters for the 8 footer.

Larger Haps equals lots of larger food......BIG bio load of food and poo.

Lots more filtration using two cannisters.

I have used Fluval Tronic heaters with great reliability.

I'd go for fx5 filters if price is a consideration. Many disagree, but all the techical stats in the world don't justify the price difference. Fx5's do a great job.

Just curious as to why are you opting not to use a sump?

I have an eheim 2260 and a 3 ft wet/dry sump on a 6x2x2 and a 5ft sump/canister for the 8x2x2.5, I personally feel when full of large Haps they still needed more filtration.

Eheim are fantastic, they run forever, are easy to clean and fast to put back together, however if you do need replacement parts they are expensive.

It's always a good idea to have spare parts in case disaster strikes, same with the heater always have a spare ready to go.

Running an 8x2x2 full of large haps will require multiple canisters, I understand wanting to reduce noise and everyone has their own preferences for running their own tanks but odds are further down the track you will regret that you didn't drill the tank for a sump.

Sumps and canisters offer you two completely different styles of filtration and in my experience large tanks run best with both, you get crystal clear water and you know the backup is there when you need to clean the tank properly.

With tanks this size you want to get it right during setup.

I assume you are buying these tanks once you get to WA? Get the 6x2x2 set up and running smoothly before you even start to worry about the 8x2x2 as the experience will help you to determine the best way to set up your 8x2x2.

As with everything in this hobby, its not about the fish you keep or the size of your tank, its about your filtration and the health of your fish that make a great display tank.

you would need at least 3 large cannisters on the 8x2x2 and that mean serious dollars around $1500 for 3 top end ehiem or fluval. My 6x2x2 is dead silent and it was my first attempt to setup a sump. It pushes through 6000lph and barely any water noise thanks to a durso stand pipe.

I have a colony of 8 sub adult Frontosa "Kitumba" in there and are large messy fish and it manages beautifully. Previous occupants include 40+ tropheus and large malawi colonies. The only issue I had with it once it was up and running was the wife nagging me to raise the water level 1.5cm so the water level is just above the level where the hood comes to.

Whereas the 4x2x2 that is running an Fx5 cannister is not coping as well and needs constant attention. which is annoying to say the least.

cheers

Rosco

eheim 2260 is the only cannister i could recommend for tanks that size..

or multiple 2217's

and i wouldn't bother with any heater other than a eheim jager..

good size tanks btw

cheers - have put these into my 'new tanks notebook' and do some research

I recommend two smaller cannisters rather than one really big one for each tank, but at least 2 cannisters for the 8 footer.

Larger Haps equals lots of larger food......BIG bio load of food and poo.

Lots more filtration using two cannisters.

thanks KIMO - noted

I have used Fluval Tronic heaters with great reliability.

I'd go for fx5 filters if price is a consideration. Many disagree, but all the techical stats in the world don't justify the price difference. Fx5's do a great job.

cheers Matt - have put these into my 'new tanks notebook' and will do some research

do you think 1 of these and an internal powerhead for each tank would be sufficient ?

any suggestions for an internal powerhead to run with this ?

Just curious as to why are you opting not to use a sump?

I have an eheim 2260 and a 3 ft wet/dry sump on a 6x2x2 and a 5ft sump/canister for the 8x2x2.5, I personally feel when full of large Haps they still needed more filtration.

Eheim are fantastic, they run forever, are easy to clean and fast to put back together, however if you do need replacement parts they are expensive.

It's always a good idea to have spare parts in case disaster strikes, same with the heater always have a spare ready to go.

Running an 8x2x2 full of large haps will require multiple canisters, I understand wanting to reduce noise and everyone has their own preferences for running their own tanks but odds are further down the track you will regret that you didn't drill the tank for a sump.

Sumps and canisters offer you two completely different styles of filtration and in my experience large tanks run best with both, you get crystal clear water and you know the backup is there when you need to clean the tank properly.

With tanks this size you want to get it right during setup.

I assume you are buying these tanks once you get to WA? Get the 6x2x2 set up and running smoothly before you even start to worry about the 8x2x2 as the experience will help you to determine the best way to set up your 8x2x2.

As with everything in this hobby, its not about the fish you keep or the size of your tank, its about your filtration and the health of your fish that make a great display tank.

cheers mate - appreciate the comments

will definately look into running x2 canisters along with an internal powerhead given most here seem to believe x1 will be insufficient

a couple of reasons for not running a sump; a.) iv'e never run one before b.) i have kids and believe the canisters would be safer and less likely to have something 'innocently' put in Daddy's fishtank (sump) c.) takes up less room d.) tanks will be in the lounge / living room so i would imagine canisters to be quieter ?

in regards to setting up the tanks, yeah - have lined up to purchase in WA and will be doing the 6x2x2 first and then the 8x2x2 about 3 months later.

in regards to your comments about the hobby - i completely agree - i have run tanks this size a few years back (twenty odd years ago) but it was using UG's and internal powerheads. They hobby and associated hardware / technology has come a long way since then and thus my questions

cheers

you would need at least 3 large cannisters on the 8x2x2 and that mean serious dollars around $1500 for 3 top end ehiem or fluval. My 6x2x2 is dead silent and it was my first attempt to setup a sump. It pushes through 6000lph and barely any water noise thanks to a durso stand pipe.

I have a colony of 8 sub adult Frontosa "Kitumba" in there and are large messy fish and it manages beautifully. Previous occupants include 40+ tropheus and large malawi colonies. The only issue I had with it once it was up and running was the wife nagging me to raise the water level 1.5cm so the water level is just above the level where the hood comes to.

Whereas the 4x2x2 that is running an Fx5 cannister is not coping as well and needs constant attention. which is annoying to say the least.

cheers

Rosco

cheers for the comments mate - please see comments above for the reasons i'm not intending on using a sump.

the plan would be x1 canister and an internal powerhead for the 6x2x2 and the same except two canisters instead of one for the 8x2x2 - do you not think this would be enough even with a top quality internal powerhead in each ?

thanks guys for all the comments - really appreciated and keep them coming :thumb

anybody with suggestions for a top of the range internal powerhead to run with the canisters on both these setups ?

is the fluval fx5 and the eheim 2260 the largest / best canister filters available ?

cheers everyone - JayT

they are the largest commercially available canisters and you would be looking at about 500 for the fx5 and 750 for the 2260..

you seem hell bent on running an internal powerhead..why? they are ugly and take up tank space. the canister will serve the same purpose as the internal.

they are big tanks, and after setting up many tanks myself ive learnt its best to get it right the first time, so do your research now to avoid unecessary changes in the future..

as rosco said you can get sumps to run silently, its just a matter of setting them up correctly. if your worried about the kids you could get locks on your cabinet..? otherwise if you cant be bothered with sumps i would simply run 2 canisters on each tank. that way you have backup if one fails and you can clean them one at a time without affecting your bio

good luck and enjoy

a couple of reasons for not running a sump;

a.) iv'e never run one before

There was a point where you never kept a cichlid so don't let the lack of experience with sumps throw you off.

b.) i have kids and believe the canisters would be safer and less likely to have something 'innocently' put in Daddy's fishtank (sump)

I have a 3yr old, she has never put anything in my tank that I didn't tell her to put in.

c.) takes up less room

What else are you going to put in the cabinet? Food/Meds/Salts = space for sump

d.) tanks will be in the lounge / living room so i would imagine canisters to be quieter ?

I have a 6x2x2 in the bedroom, makes a little noise but as Rosco says a durso standpipe will fix that for you.

This just doesn't seem like the best way to spend your $. Check out the tanks of any of the guys breeding on this forum, anyone keeping 6ft+ tanks will have advise for you.

Getting it drilled by the guys building it will be easier than you doing it yourself in the garage down the track.

Vortech powerheads are awesome, but almost as much as your canisters, you can set them to make waves and believe me on a 10x3x3 they look fantastic, but they are wasted on anything smaller.

Whats your budget on both tanks? Setup and stock?

This is not the cheapest option for your setup, buy a secondhand tank, make it a sump and then spend the $1000 you want to spend on canisters on one of those fancy fake rock backgrounds if you want a killer display tank.

Look through the gallery's, who's keeping the species you want and what filtration/layouts they are using successfully to replicate the lake.

If you only want cannisters, then stick to cannisters. No offence to those that are recommending a sump set up.

I have never had a sump setup so can not comment on them, but i do know the ease of setting up and the flexibilty of cannisters, not to mention not having to worry about drilling and plumbing and learning about another type of filtration system when you already have decided on having cannisters.

If you want a power head for water flow only, you can easily connect some tubing to the outlet and hide it behind some rock work so you don't see it. Very easy to do with tubing and plastic cable ties, and the modified outlet can direct water flow where ever you want.

You'll get some pretty good water flow however from two good cannisters set up one at each end.

they are the largest commercially available canisters and you would be looking at about 500 for the fx5 and 750 for the 2260..

you seem hell bent on running an internal powerhead..why? they are ugly and take up tank space. the canister will serve the same purpose as the internal.

they are big tanks, and after setting up many tanks myself ive learnt its best to get it right the first time, so do your research now to avoid unecessary changes in the future..

as rosco said you can get sumps to run silently, its just a matter of setting them up correctly. if your worried about the kids you could get locks on your cabinet..? otherwise if you cant be bothered with sumps i would simply run 2 canisters on each tank. that way you have backup if one fails and you can clean them one at a time without affecting your bio

good luck and enjoy

the main reason behind the powerheads was that i was thinking one canister and one powerhead per tank - if i was going to use two canisters i doubt i would bother with the internal powerhead as well

in regards to getting it right the first time - that's the plan and the reason for posting my queries in the first place

cheers, and thanks for the reply

a couple of reasons for not running a sump;

a.) iv'e never run one before

There was a point where you never kept a cichlid so don't let the lack of experience with sumps throw you off.

b.) i have kids and believe the canisters would be safer and less likely to have something 'innocently' put in Daddy's fishtank (sump)

I have a 3yr old, she has never put anything in my tank that I didn't tell her to put in.

c.) takes up less room

What else are you going to put in the cabinet? Food/Meds/Salts = space for sump

d.) tanks will be in the lounge / living room so i would imagine canisters to be quieter ?

I have a 6x2x2 in the bedroom, makes a little noise but as Rosco says a durso standpipe will fix that for you.

This just doesn't seem like the best way to spend your $. Check out the tanks of any of the guys breeding on this forum, anyone keeping 6ft+ tanks will have advise for you.

Getting it drilled by the guys building it will be easier than you doing it yourself in the garage down the track.

Vortech powerheads are awesome, but almost as much as your canisters, you can set them to make waves and believe me on a 10x3x3 they look fantastic, but they are wasted on anything smaller.

Whats your budget on both tanks? Setup and stock?

This is not the cheapest option for your setup, buy a secondhand tank, make it a sump and then spend the $1000 you want to spend on canisters on one of those fancy fake rock backgrounds if you want a killer display tank.

Look through the gallery's, who's keeping the species you want and what filtration/layouts they are using successfully to replicate the lake.

jees - pushy with the sumps arn't ya ;)

nah seriously, all comments appreciated - i'm not actually completely against the sump idea and will likely explore the option further before making a final decision. I'm planning a fish room/shed once i get settled so have many decisions to make. I'm just planning the two displays that i'm allowed have in the house at the moment.

regardless of which way i go, i think i have received most of the answers i was looking for;

a.) 300w eheim jager heaters are the go

b.) fluval fx5 or eheim 2260's would be the preferred external canister filtration for tanks this size

c.) general perception seems to be that x2 canisters would be required for each tank - would be keen for further comments in regards to this with the 6x2x2 - fair enough with the 8x2x2

d.) people here seem to prefer sumps to canisters :p

cheers all, keep the comments coming, that's why i put up the post well prior to setting up my two displays

Regards Jay

Search sunsun wave maker on e-bay. They are actually flow makers unless hooked up to a controller. Works well.

will add to the notebook - cheers

c.) general perception seems to be that x2 canisters would be required for each tank - would be keen for further comments in regards to this with the 6x2x2 - fair enough with the 8x2x2

ok well depending on what fish your keeping and how many there will be

you could run for example;

2 x eheim 2217's on the 6x2x2 (bare minimum) ~$500

or a 2260 and a 2217 ~$1k

and on the 8x2x2, 2 x 2260's would be great but very pricey.. ~$1.5k

2 x fx5's would set you back $1k

that is why sumps are a good idea, excellent filtration, high turnover, low price...

so its up to you, fork out some cash for canisters, or do some diy for a sump

I had full intentions on setting up my 4x2x2 with a sump but when I finally got the 2.5x14x18 sump in the cabinet the OR3500 that i was going to use as the pump slipped out of my hands and smashed the base of the sump so I bought a second hand FX5 and it copes OK with 20 odd adult and sub-adult empress and 10-15 msobo. For a tank of this size a sump might have been overkill and probably would have been better off just going for a canister(s) in the first place. So I am not totally a sump man. But in saying that there are 5 sumps in my fish room running 25 tanks. Running 25 cannisters or 5 water pumps I know what wins :) .

Anyhoo, I would still run 2 canisters on a 6x2x2 as bwah suggested for the security. I would probably go for 2x 2217 but I don't know much about ehiem's but as value for money goes as this is what it would probably cost you for a sump anyhow. If you have one big one and something goes in it you either need a spare 2260 (or 2217 lying around just in case or you just feed your fish less if one goes.

cheers

rosco

Hi All,

The big move from QLD to Perth happens next week !

I will be setting up my two new African display tanks (a 6x2x2 and 8x2x2) over the following couple of weeks and would like to use both an external canister and internal powerhead in each tank - what would be your preference for each of these sized tanks ? i would like to stick to either Eheim or Fluval brands.

Also what sort of heater would be best ?

The 6x2x2 will be a mixed mbuna / haps / aulonocara tank with the 8x2x2 being predominately larger haps.

N.B. - being display tanks, they will be fairly heavily stocked.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards JayT

If you want cannisters:

2x Eheim 2260/Pro 3 2080 for 6x2x2, 1x 300 watt Jager

3x Eheim 2260/Pro 3 2080 for 8x2x2, 2x 300 watt Jager

My choice/experience is sump. Either way, make sure your stand/cabinet is high enough to accommodate them and easy access to service.

I'd try 1 canister and an internal like an otto 2000l/h, see how it goes. If nitrates too high, obviously just do a water change. More filtration really only allows for less maintenance. If you don't mind doing increased water changes there are no probs! If it gets too much, chuck another canister on. That way you'll give yourself some idea of what the canister can handle which will help you with your 8' project. What I'm saying is, see how it goes and manage it from there, it's not like you're going to lose them all overnight. Maybe just run an air pump for back - up, will keep everything going long enough for you to replace filter should it craP itself overnight without being aware.

I've often wondered how these http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...311&catID=6 would perform, bit of a unknown brand but capable of pumping out some serious lph for a bloody reasonable price.

Jon

Archived