White Sand & Foam Backgrounds

CAL.16V

hey..

i am after some white sand to fill my tank and dont know where to look... havent found anything really through searching previous posts... anyone got any white sand or is crushed coral all i will find?

any places around sydney that sell it?? if so how much??? i need quite a bit to fill a large 8ft tank

also need some type of background.. considered the latex type but cant find one in my size and they are a bit expensive... the tank is 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5 ft

have been told you can buy pre coloured foam sheets which you cut to size from monaco in canley vale for $30 a sheet and i will need about 3/4 sheets to fill teh tank.. these apparently have tree, rockj graphics etc?? anyone heard about these or are they any good?? these are silicone in type

thanks

the pre coloured foam sheets you ask about, ive seen them in a few of the larger lfs over the weekend. try some of the sponsers, i'm sure they'd have them.

your options for white sand, pool filter sand, fine crushed marble or calcium sand.

but give some thought to 20sq ft of white sand, especially if you have bright lights

hth

Hi,

There is an online retailer that sells Azoo foam (black) backgrouds that are quite cheap ($50). 2 sheets do a 4 x 18 so you get a few more, cut them to size and off you go .. I have these on one of my tanks and they look OK, nothing compared to my Universal one but a cheaper alternative.

You can DIY these yourself, do a search on DIY backgrouds and there is an excellent article about making these yourself, or if your lazy like me, the Azoo ones do well.

White sand .. try crushed marble, the smallest available size, not quite sand but small enough and white.

Cheers,

Aaron

any pics of the background???

col looked at all sponsors sites and couldnt find any backgrounds liek that..

i got some pool filter sand in a 4ft tank and dont want that... its too dirty/grey

where can i get crushed marble?

seen these 2 sites which are local

http://www.landscape-supplies.com.au/

http://www.turtlenursery.com.au/index.htm

both have listed washed white or double washed white.,.. called them up and they said its 'pure' but dont think it would be anywere near white?

Aquariums@Asquith carry both :)

The white sand is crushed aragonite which will buffer the water and the backgrounds are the Aquaone range. They are not 2.5 high and you would need to double up in order to cover the whole thing...they are 2ft long from memory.

Bruce

liverpool sands and soils has 'botany bay' white sand .. $6 for 20kg so cheap...

the guy said its the stuff they use for rendering and kids play pits etc... says it dosent have clay but has salt.. salts fine ???? is this just the same as the other washed whites?? anyone heard about botany bay white or what it looks like?

Hey did you like the sand i had in my tanks when you came over?

I just bought them from bunning for $6-20kg at Bellevista. Washed sand.

hth

cant remeber lol... want something thats white white.... might go to landscape place tomorrow and have a look at what the double washed white looks liek and also teh botany bay one or might get some crushed marble.... got some crushed marble so know what it looks liek and dont mind it...

the argonite is a bit expensive to fill up a 8x2.5x2.5 at $38 for 15kg... guess could use pool filter sand or something in the middle of teh tank on lower layers

You can get crushed marble from Jackson's Minicrete in Lakemba.

It comes in varying grades from pebbles down to pool dust, it's very very white, and costs about $10 for 20kg I think.

It's been a few years since I was there though so don't quote me on the price :)

great think i might get that, depending on what the 'white sands' look like..

aq @ asquith has heaps of different foam type backgrounds so might check them out and monaco

apparently the azoo ones are out of stock australia wide ..

not sure how these compare to the foam types which are cheaper

This is what the Azoo ones look like

IPB Image

oh and if your wondering what sort of sand that is ...I have no idea. I got it off a member years ago, its very fine and I would only use for sandsifters or shellies . It also has to be turned over every other week.

Cheers,

Aaron

thanks heaps! looks like you might have got it from the site i put above.. $50 for 2 sheets .. will need 4 packs but will have some leftovers..

will check out the foam ones first to see what they look like to compare to these

also where do you get aquarium safe silicone? bunnings? how many days did you leave it to dry?? i would have to do it inside since its an 8ft tank and wont be able to move it around so wont get sunlight

You can get crushed marble from Jackson's Minicrete in Lakemba.

It comes in varying grades from pebbles down to pool dust, it's very very white, and costs about $10 for 20kg I think.

It's been a few years since I was there though so don't quote me on the price :)

Sorry to hijack this post but how much kgs would you need to fill up a 6ft tank. I currently have a mix of pebble and coral sand but I think its time to redecorate abit.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack this post but how much kgs would you need to fill up a 6ft tank. I currently have a mix of pebble and coral sand but I think its time to redecorate abit.

Thanks

Why do you want to fill the tank up? That won't leave any room for water :p

I think 2 bags should be plenty for a 6ft tank. Start with 2 anyway, and if it's not deep enough get some more :)

got to mini crete just as they closed teh door :(

$12.50 for 25kg .. cheap...

how thick will 50kg of 1mm crush marble be in a 8ft x 2.5ft?

managed to get foam background from monaco.. cheap and a few styles to choose from.. not many left now

got to mini crete just as they closed teh door :(

$12.50 for 25kg .. cheap...

how thick will 50kg of 1mm crush marble be in a 8ft x 2.5ft?

managed to get foam background from monaco.. cheap and a few styles to choose from.. not many left now

Not very deep at all mate. From memory and a slight guess I'd say it will give you about 10mm coverage or even slightly less.

Archived