Metriaclima Msobo And Pseudotropheus

Jimbo OZ

Hi Guys,

Any ideas if you can keep msobos with Pseudotropheus species? I know the msobos were once considered part of the Peudotropheus species.

I can't seem to sell my pindanis to anyone so might be left with the only option to add the msobos to the display tank with these guys.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

G'day Andrew,

Has anybody sorted out the whole maylandia/metriaclima/pseudotropheus thing yet? :roll

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that pretty much any mbuna is capable of crossing with any other mbuna given the right circumstances :yes:

If you're going to keep two mbuna species in the same tank, and minimise the risk of crossbreeding, you have to ensure that the two species are as different as possible (colour, barring, etc.) and ensure that there are enough males and females of each species.

Msobo and pindanis are definite chances to cross, but if you have maybe 1 to 2 males and 6 to 8 females of each species then the chances of crossing are greatly reduced. If any crossing does occur the fry should be easy to pick and cull.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

G'day Andrew,

Has anybody sorted out the whole maylandia/metriaclima/pseudotropheus thing yet? :roll

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that pretty much any mbuna is capable of crossing with any other mbuna given the right circumstances :yes:

If you're going to keep two mbuna species in the same tank, and minimise the risk of crossbreeding, you have to ensure that the two species are as different as possible (colour, barring, etc.) and ensure that there are enough males and females of each species.

Msobo and pindanis are definite chances to cross, but if you have maybe 1 to 2 males and 6 to 8 females of each species then the chances of crossing are greatly reduced. If any crossing does occur the fry should be easy to pick and cull.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Spot on Lee

Hi Craig -

Sven Kullander & Michael Oliver (both people with PhD's in cichlid taxonomy) write that Maylandia is valid and has priority over other names for this group (Metriaclima). That's good enough for me - the alleged problem with the description/diagnosis of Maylandia does not seem very convincing. Lastly - no formal challenge has been lodged with the ICZN querying the validity of Maylandia.

I suspect the hobby persists Metriaclima largely due to Koning's contrary view that Maylandia is nomen nudem.

Hi Lee,

Thanks heaps for your reply. Any pindani fry are just being spat into the tank at the moment anyway and I'm not sure the msobos will breed for some time so I guess it doesn't really matter too much about crossbreeding.

I will just chuck the msobos in there and enjoy looking at their beautiful colour. When they are more likely to breed I will make a decision about moving the pindanis.

Cheers,

Andrew

Archived