Algae Eaters

<H1>alge eaters in egg layer tank?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: junek</STRONG><BR><BR>hi

<br>

i need to know what you all use for alge control in your tanks that have egg layers in them. at the moment, i have bristle nose, but i understand that they will eat the eggs when they are laid. which hopefully will be soon

<br>

i was thinking snails - those big orangy/yellow ones that i see at the lfs sometimes. do they eat alge? will they eat eggs?

<br>

<br>

also, what do u use for alge control in L. ocellatus tanks? i dont want to put bristle nose in there in the fear that they will eat the eggs or very small fry. would snails be ok?

<br>

<br>

thanks for any info

<br>

jaime

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: The Cichlid Man</STRONG><BR><BR>Jamie i would not reccomend it. I had a bristlenose that i forgot was in my discus spawning tank and the little blighter ate them all.

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

Ben

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>I have a 5cm bristlenose with a pair of L. ocellatus and they are breeding like the clappers. I believe that the bristly doesn't try to get inside the shell, besides which, the female lies over the shell at night. However I have read of people whose ocies do not breed successfully with a bristlenose in the tank. So it's "horses for courses". A different bristly might not be so successful for me ... so I won't change the status quo (and will continue to be overrun by ocellatus fry). My ocie fry are sharing a growout tank with 1 1/2 cm or so bristlies.

<br>

<br>

I have also bred kribs with an algae eater, in that instance, a well grown otto cat.

<br>

<br>

I have not had success breeding open spawners with an algae eater in the tank. I think in those cases the eggs are much more accessible.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arj</STRONG><BR><BR>I was thinkging about this also. But I had one bristlenose in my speciosus tank and all three females had bred and have had fry, so i'm guessing he didn't eat the eggs. After hearing about this, I didn't want to take any chances so I have removed him. When the algae start to grow, I will put him in the tank again for about two days.

<br>

<br>

Arj.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>I'd put the bristlenose in with the ocies to clear up some algae between spawns.It was my intent to remove the bristlenose before the ocies spawned next but they beat me to it, and I didn't want to disturb them so thought I'd just see what happened, and everything was fine and I had a cloud of fry (two batches now with the bristlenose in there). So I'm going along with it. But it's not something I would do as a matter of course.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: chorrylan</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

I have occies (speciosus) and bristlenose breeding in the same tank quite happily apart from the occies kicking the bristlenose out of his shell so he had to dig himself a cave under a rock.

<br>

I can't imagine occies having a problem with any fish less than a foot long

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Laurie

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>I had been imagining it might be a possibility that the bristlenose could eat eggs (if they could get to them) while it's dark and the egg parents are inactive. I wasn't sure if my ocies breeding OK with bristlies was a fluke. But if you are doing OK with speciosus and bristlenoses then it is likely to be a combination that works. Don't know if it would work with fish that spawn somewhere more accessible.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: SouthCoastGold</STRONG><BR><BR>Another fish to watch out for with fry is the clown loach, even though it is not an algae eater strictly speaking, they will most certainly eat eggs or little fry.

<br>

<br>

I once watched a clown loach demolish about one hundred convict fry in about 2 minutes. The parents were attacking him ferociously but I guess he couldn't get enough of that sweet, sweet convict fry action. He just didn't stop eating them no matter how hard the parents fought until he ate them all. It was interesting to watch though.

<br>

Josh

Archived