Need a new sump pump

Kartoon

Hi All

So it has finally happened after many years of operation my trusty sump pump has died :( now I'm just wondering what should i replace it with. I currently have an old resun pump in there but I don't trust it for the long term.

So my question is what pump should i be looking at getting? it would run 2 standard 4 foot breeding tanks with a 4 foot sump currently stocked with Salousi, Duboisi, and Leleupi along with some bristle nose as the cleaning crew.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

Personally myself on my sump I went for a dirty water pump. They are reasonably expensive but they are a heavy duty pump designed to pump water regardless of the state of the water.. I've had mine for 9 years now and its hasn't missed a beat. It has strong pressure and a large head height so you dont lose alot of pressure. I'd have to check what the brand is when I get up in the morning though.

If you are minding your money then age of aquariums seems to have a good range of pumps that would meet your needs.

Almost anything made in china is a hit and miss affair...might last a week or 5 years.

For my new tank I purchased a Waveline DC-6000, I did this after being very unhappy with the noise of the ehiem compact 5000.

Can not comment on the longer reliability but they seem well made and can go very large, I think upto 12000L/Hour.

They are also very power efficient, I'm using a full 15w less power than the ehiem.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Laguna are hard to fault. They are quiet, efficient and powerful. Plus because they are a vortex pump they can handle larger bits of stuff going through them like the pesty trumpet snails I was cursed with for years.

Cheers

Rosco

If you contact Vebas Aquariums in perth (vebas@vebas.com.au) they have a new range of Italian made pumps which are IMO as good as the Eheim Compac submersibles only much cheaper.. The brand is SICCE..

They post Australia wide. I have had a lot of stuff sent over from them because they always have stuff in stock.

Archived