Best methods to breeding kandango's?

I have found some Haps like a raised flat spawning platform and have used

a flower pot saucer silicone to the bottom of an upturned flower pot works

others will just dig a pit in the substrate or spawn on a flat rock

when the female drops the tube it will happen

Chris is right. when they are ready they will breed no doubt about it. you will have so many fry you wont know what to do with them all.

from memory these guys were substrate spawners and dug a little pit.

these are great species to breed as both the males and females look good and the fry grow very quickly. they eat like pigs!

Give them a nice tall tank, at least 60cm, with lots of open swimming room. According to Ad Konings books, in the wild the males hold position displaying near large rocks trying to attract females to their rock, with spawning taking place on the vertical side of the rock.

I often place half besser blocks in my large breeding tanks and I have had C. Borleyi spawn on the flat top of these, and I have also had them spawn on the side of the tank vertically as they do in the wild.

They lay quite big eggs, similar in size to frontosa eggs, and the fry are robust and grow quite quickly. A holding female is very easy to pick for a day or so after spawning, but they then tend to hold the eggs in the back of the throat and are no longer obvious when holding. So don't automatically assume they have lost the eggs a couple of days after spawning.

Cheers, Doug

Archived