Filtration: Nitrate Removal: Coils

MikeWs Fish

George Booth cant be much of a planted tank legend (thoughts go immediately to T Amano) Nitrate reductors and the like are very much frowned upon in the planted tank community.

refer: www.plantgeek.net - www.aquabotanic.com - www.tropica.com

That is just like adding a major aeration stone to a C02 injected tank... waste of effort and expense (C02 & related equipment).

Plants feed off Nitrates.

So if i were to make one up for my 6ft (450lr) tank what would i need. Would it be exactly what yew said? Where and how is this coil of tubing housed?

Anthony

AA - get a roll of tubing 4/5mm - I have 7m runs that work, more is better, but no need to go nuts - if I was Dave I would have made 4 x 10m runs out of that 40m roll - 4 x 3lph in parallel sounds better to me

coil it up however you like, cable tie it. it really doesn't take up much space

one end fed from a pump, other end has the tap. set to a fast steady drip - best if feeding the effluent into the main filter inlet, if possible.

HTH

Markus -

I think comments on George Booth should be limited to those people who know who he is.

Heavily stocked (with fish!) planted tanks do get too much nitrate. Plants can only use so much nitrate after all. Nitrogen is a macronutrient - but you dont need it too excess. Refer: botany and common sense.

I think I read somewhere that readings over about 20ppm are harmful to plants?

Also plants prefer their nitrogen in Ammonia form rather than nitrite/ate?

Anyone know if I dreamt that info? tongue.gif

IIRC, one of George Booth's articles published on TheKrib about Denitrators was where I got by hair brained ideas from in the first place wink.gif

Archived