live foods

paulibius

They are probably a little small to be honest. I think powdered flake food (using a pepper mill) is probably all you need.

Mbuna fry also enjoy blanched zuccini & nori.

Would people like to share their techniques on microworm culture.

Keeping a good culture seems to be luck for me.

Sometimes it produces plenty, sometimes it smells and sometimes it lasts for a week or two with only a few days worth of harvesting.

I used homebrand quick cooking oats and dried yeast from the supermarket? Does this affect the production rates?

Also with microworms, is there a way of getting the worms off the culture and not just from the sides of the container?

G'day Fauna

I raise the vinegar eels in 2 litre plastic or glass containers. It has 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water. To feed them I just put in apples. Not too much, just thin slices and when they are consumed I put another slice in.

I bought some of those wine vinegar bottles, the ones with the long glass neck on them. When I want to harvest some eels I move some of the culture into the bottom of one of these bottles. Then a layer of filter wool gets pushed down the neck. (I wrap some fishing line around it to allow it to be easily removed.)

Then I put some tank water over the top of it.

Due to the decreased oxygen below the filter wool the vinegar eels swim through it. But virtually none of the vinegar passes through. Then to get the worms out I use a 20 m syringe and suck out all of the fluid above the filter wool. You should use the largest syringe that you can insert into the neck of the bottle. a turkey baster could also be used.

After harvesting there are still millions of eels in the base of the bottle so I return it to the feeding culture.

Then I Partially drain the next culture in the rotation, for the next batch of vinegar eels. I found about seven cultures to be the best as it allowed the population to recover adequately between harvesting.

hth

One food not mentioned much is Grindal worms. I find them the easiest to culture as I just sprinkle more food on after I harvest. They are typically around 8mm long and very thin so are great for 1cm+ fish that need too much BBS or MW. I get enough to feed ~30 2cm fry each day from 1 ice cream container.

Dean

No probs at all in summer. Unlike whiteworms, grindal worms are perfectly happy up to high 20s. In fact, in winter I keep them on a heated tank to keep them warm.

Dean

Archived