Anubia nana

Ged

</DIV><H1>Anubia nana? (plant help)</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fishboi2000</STRONG><BR><BR>i have a single plant which im trying to attach to driftwoot. Problem is roots dont seem to be growing, its held on by cable tie, it continually has new leaves but no root growth. Any ideas? fertilisers?

<br>

TIA

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi there,

<br>

If you want to attach anubias nana to driftwood, try putting some java moss on the roots an attach them all to the wood.

<br>

But u must remember that the part where the new leaves are growing is where the new roots are also growing, this will be the whitish roots as opposed to the green or matured ones, imo the new roots will anchor better.

<br>

Also how long before you cut the cable tie and relaise it didnt anchor, anubias are slow growing and should be given a month or two or sometimes even more, this all depends on you tank setup.

<br>

Let us know how your tank is setup and maybe others can help as well.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: emp1re</STRONG><BR><BR>best to use cotton thread to tire down the plant. 'cause after a couple of months, the cotton will just rot away, hence u don't go thru the hassle of removing the tire

<p>

<BR><STRONG>Author: emp1re</STRONG><BR><BR>Anubias are a very slow growing family of plants, and of this family, nana is one of the slowest growing species. With high levels of CO2 injection, N,P,K and trace elements you will still find that the plant will take several months to attach properly.

<br>

So for optimum growth and development really it's all back to basics really of plant husbandry. For Anubias;

<br>

-Correct amount of light (about 1-1.5wpg in tanks <100g and <20" deep for anubias)

<br>

-CO2 between 20-30ppm (rough rule of thumb pH of 7, kH around 120ppm is around 20ppm of CO2). Lower can still work for Anubias, they're not as demanding as some....

<br>

-Fertilize with K regularly - use either commercial K additives or make your own using K2SO4 / KNO3 / KCl (correct the mixture depending on what your system is lacking in the NO3 department etc). Aim for around 10-15ppm of K.

<br>

-Make sure Fe is within good limits - fertilize regularly for Fe, aim to maintain 0.1-0.15ppm. I personally use Flourish Iron but there are others out there which are also quite good.

<br>

Hope this helps

<br>

Adam

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>I have some wood with anubias nana, I have had it for a little over a month, in an unfertilized tank with no CO2 injection. There were probably about 10 leaves on the log when I bought it, now there are about 20, the stems are twice as long, and the roots have grown off the log and buried about an inch into the gravel. I have no idea why this is happening, as I know that it is a slow growing plant, but from this experience, it would make me think twice about saying that.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>Your conditions in your tank must coincidentally be just right by chance. Few people seem to have optimum balance so this needs to be altered by additional co2 infusion and ferts.

<br>

Yes Anubias is definately a slow growing family of plants. 10 leaves in a month compared to a hundred or a few hundred on some Hygro. corymbosa / Hygro. stricta in as much time under its optimum conditions? Think comparison, not standalone plant. 'Slow' is a relative term, not an integral precise measurement.

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Adam

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>I do know that they are slow growing plants, I am not saying my growth is typical, but if I had no other knowledge of anubia growth, I would be mislead by the growth of mine.

<br>

I know that 10 leaves dosent sound like a lot, but pound for pound, it has produced more plant mass than hygro, or other relatively fast growing plants I have had. I certainly wouldnt say that anubias a fast growing plants, just as I said, mine seemed to have produced atypical results.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fishboi2000</STRONG><BR><BR>i didnt expect it to be that slow growing, looks like i will have to wait alot longer, plant seems healthy so i will just stick it out. Thanks for all the input once again!

Archived