new to cichlids and need some advice

lexxijuice

Hi there, I'm new to the forum but also new to cichlids. After deciding I can no longer afford a marine tank I've decided to go with some mbuna cichlids.

I bought a tank second hand that's 122cm L x 40cmD x 50cmH. Its 240L and came with a fluval 206 canister filter and sponge filter.

I am a little on a budget.

Now, a couple questions:

I know the 206 isn't enough on its own. Is the sponge filter enough to take up the slack? What else can I add to adequately increase filtration?

The type of fish I want are:

Maingano

Electric yellow

Hongi

Red zebra

Plus cuckoo catfish and bristlenose catfish

How many of each and what ratio of male to female is best? I'm most likely going to be buying fry (3cm-ish), but I know you can't tell genders when they're that small. How can you get around that?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Thanks for having me :)

Hi and welcome I'd put a 2000 LP/H internal power filter in at least and may be 1 Male and 3 Female ratio and may be watch the Maingano as they can be little craPs and just watch your Electric Yellows and Red Zebra's don't cross breed since there both yellow other wise good luck

I am new to keeping Cichlids also. My tank is approx the same size as yours and I am slowly building up the number of fish in it. All Lake Malawi.

I currently have Electric Yellows, Rusty Cichlids, Crabro and Hongi. The Hongi are my favorites not as aggressive as the others. I also have 4 Electric Blues in a grow up tank as they are a little small to add to the main tank. I have found that as I have added fish to the tank the aggression has lessened.

I am intending to add Red Zebs, Normal Pindani and Albino Pindani. I am going to end up with approx 21 fish and see how it goes.

All the books and mags that I have read seem to reccomend 1 male to 2 females or 2 males and 5 females but how you sex them at a early age I don't know.

Vern.

Archived