Cichlid Disaster

Brian Cockayne

Yes I have just had one , my new breeding colony of 20 fish , new to the east coast. All I wanted was to be able to share this species with our fish heads .I wanted to give away a suprise bonus of free fish to the first person that would have won them on auction night at the NSW CICHLID SOCIETY when they reached the ok size. The cost me $800 dollars that was never the main problem,it was losing somthing special that we all can share. Psuedotropheus Williamsi North was my collection , or blue lips........oh well all I am sure after water testing I tend to find this fish died of a huge nitrate level and doomed them. I AM NO EXPERT with this fantastic hobby and this episode has upset me greatly. In writing this I hope others will take this on and make this fish a common species we all can enjoy......WE ALL HAVE HAD DISASTERS. SPEAK UP SO WE ALL CAN SHARE AND LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES .....From THE HAPPY FISH...

I once had a quite heavily stocked mbuna tank with mostly wild caught fish, my rookie mistake was I only had a spray bar agitating the water surface.

When I was asleep one night the suction cups failed and the spray bar sank into the depths and was no longer agitating the surface.

I came downstairs to about £500 of fish dead and the rest gasping at the surface.

I did a 75% water change and fortunately I didn't lose any more.

I make sure that I have more than one method of surface agitation now.

Yes It was a nitrate level, I transfered water from another tank during doing a water change without testing the water from the other tank. I have taken my mistake on board and won't repeat this mistake again. Fish will never suffer from to much filtration.....thanks for your concerns guys.

Holidaying in Brisbane when I get the phone call you never want

from the home the fish are all dead

seems the thermostat stuck on the heater in the room and turned

the tanks into soup over a couple of days

only survivors where in a bottom tank that had another row of tanks

between it and the heater so 16 out of 17 tanks gone (all the good fish)

yes the survivors were just odds and sods of no real value

drained the tanks and walk away for 5 yrs

its sad to hear of losses in the hobby from fish deaths and breeders ive never experienced fish loss due to heaters or nitrates etc maybe ive been lucky i hope i never do loose my favourites being both my tangs and malawi

in experience with tropheus is the worst ive had but we learn quickly luckily for forums like ACE we can all share and learn

• 2 weeks later...

I lost an entire colony of Tropheus duboisi when a huge bristlenose spawn was eaten by the buggers. All died within a day or so. First and last tropheus I tried to breed lol.

• 5 months later...

Hmm lost my giraffe cichlid today as pictured in my id pic "He just rolled over and died..all other Africans in tank still perfect and chaseing each other as usual.. still scratchen my head as he was my fav.....

Archived