Peacock Gudgeons

Very excited - I have my first clutch of eggs from my Peacock gudgeons (new guinea native)! They are about 24 hours old, and looking clear and healthy! Different sources say they will hatch in between 48 hours and five days. Needless to say, I am watching closely!

Congrats!! One thing I am still dirty at myself for is selling my old snakehead gudgeons before I spawned them. I will probably buy more if I ever walk past some in a shop again.

ps. Hatch time usually directly relates to tank temperature (warmer=quicker) which could explain the difference in info.

I will probably buy more if I ever walk past some in a shop again.

Go to Lam's. smile.gif Some lovely examples in stock as at last Friday lunchtime. They had the "I wanna go home with you" look too. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

Limegirl

Congrats on your spawn hope all goes well with raising them.

Ducksta

Give the snakeheads a go again you may be the first to spawn them, i havnt heard of them spawning in tanks so far, unless ive missed something in the last couple of years blush.gif

Most farms gave up trying to breed them 5 years ago, supposedly one report of them being bred but was found to be all WC.

Mark, it is tempting yes.gif

When I had them, alot of the behaviour I could only describe as 'courting'

It looked like everything I would imagine they would do pre-spawning. And when I researched into gudgeons in general, I found that the species spawned in captivity behaved much like mine did.

Unfortunately all this was when the internet was a lowly nothingness except for PC geeks with their uber-cool 486's and 14KB modems LOL.gif

I had also never heard of ANGFA or any fish-nerd-societies.

I was also very young at the time.

When I moved them on, they went to someone who knew the LFS owner I bought them off. I told the LFS guy I thought they looked like they might spawn and he helped me out immensely tracking down info, and didn't let me give up when I found out no-one had reportedly bred them in aquaria.

When I finally decided I couldn't keep them I went back to the same LFS and the owner called his mate and told me to bring them in that afternoon. The buyer was waiting for me at the shop when I got back, and was keen to take them. I traded them for something, I can't even remember what, but it was probably something crap LOL.gif

Congrats Limegirl!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Any chance of some pics of the bubs?

Cheers - OziOscar.

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeding them sera micron and just starting some tetramin baby. I have also been collecting pieces of algae covered plants out of the community tanks, for that extra bit of microflora. Soon I will start them on frozen daphnia.

They are still only about 6mm, so it could be a long process!

I only have ten, so I don't know how many I will be willing to part with - but mum and dad are desparately flirting back in the community tank, so when I free up another tank there should be more and more ...

They aren't looking too good this morning - a lot have fungussed already. Being in the tank with the babies means there is heaps of food floating around. Still, I might get a few, and at least it shows mum and dad are going at it!

They just grow so slow ...

Hey Skidoo - try the firetails. They are most commonly sold as feeder fish, and apparently will grow and breed anywhere. I picked some up the other week, and they are a little drab, but I am hoping with some selective breeding they might come ok.

I have some pictures of mine, which I can email you - I don't know how to post here.

Archived