Cichlasoma monoculus

Chuckmeister

Yeah mate the last one has already fallen into line. I don't find Cichla particularly difficult to get onto different foods, all about getting them smacking food at the surface the rest is a bit of persistence and hunger.

Awesome to hear mate can't wait to see these puppies stack on some size. Cannot wait for the day I've got a monster tank like yours and can finally own a bass or 2 lol

When growing peacock bass out you are best off getting a few more than you actually want/require as young bass are relatively timid especially kept in low numbers. The more you have the better they will feed and compete with each other.

Wont be very long at all until mine are 30cm + I reckon I can get them to a foot within 6 months. Already about 10-12cm. I swear mine have already grown in the week that I have had them. The beauty with excellent filtration and a big tank is I can pump my fish absolutely chockers full of food. Currently pumping them full of whitebait and hikari food sticks, will get them on marine gold in the coming weeks.

I would love some azules and orinocos, but we will wait and see.

Kept Temensis years ago, the growth rate on them was unreal.

I will post some pics of my old Monocs. I had a male that was 60cm.

They look awesome. I'm sure the new kids will be just as nice. Have heard the growth rates are phenomenal. Only seen one for the first time in my life here in Adelaide in 15 years of cichlid keeping 2 months agoWas 5 younguns in a local shop, damn they were impressive too lol.

Ged - thanks mate, need to get the actual camera out for some pics. The phone struggles.

Benno - really? They come and go here in Perth. See quite a few for a while then they seem to fade away and then back again. To put it into perspective I paid $25ea for these guys.

Alex- yea mate never seen one in the 'scale' so to speak til then lol. They were illegal here along with most monster Central Americans up until 7 or so years ago from memory(E4G1M4N would be able to clear that up if he's still lurking the forums). I've seen them advertised on gumtree here but yea had never actually seen one until then. These were 8-10cm and $75 each.

They seem to come round in cycles, more so than other stuff I see come and go.

Everyone wants them and none available = someone with a batch cashes in and sells a bunch for $100 each at 8cm.
People with them see the price and do their best to raise a good batch.
At the same time, everyone who paid 100 each now has too many that eat too much and wants to offload some bigger ones.
Price crashes.
Repeat.

Alex- yea mate never seen one in the 'scale' so to speak til then lol. They were illegal here along with most monster Central Americans up until 7 or so years ago from memory(E4G1M4N would be able to clear that up if he's still lurking the forums). I've seen them advertised on gumtree here but yea had never actually seen one until then. These were 8-10cm and $75 each.

To be honest $75 retail isn't that crazy. I saw them recently in a prominent Perth store for $65ea at that size. Usually $45-80 for small ones here. I bought mine privately so obviously a lot cheaper. I remember about 12-14 years ago the very first ones that came in, i bought a handful, from memory they cost be about $350 a pop at 4-5cm. Was so exciting back then to see the first Cichla in Australia.

Now we are seeing Orinocos and Azuls. From what I can gather they are going for around $500-750ea. Probably less through the right channels. Hopefully some people get them breeding and we do not lose them to just being display fish. I think most people had a very hard time breeding the temensis because of the sheer size of them. Would love some Cichla other than the Monocs down the track. But I'm back into fish keeping after 18months off (first time in 20 years) - and I'm loving keeping even Monocs again. Hell, I even enjoy keeping the silver dollars I have! Amazing what some time off will do to a fish keeper. Probably the break I needed to have.

They seem to come round in cycles, more so than other stuff I see come and go.

Everyone wants them and none available = someone with a batch cashes in and sells a bunch for $100 each at 8cm.

People with them see the price and do their best to raise a good batch.

At the same time, everyone who paid 100 each now has too many that eat too much and wants to offload some bigger ones.

Price crashes.

Repeat.

I agree with the cycles. Not everyone has the patients to breed them and then the know how to raise fry. So an able fish keeper will spawn a pair, grow out a few batches then either the pair will be sold on or something will happen to them and then they will become scarce again, and the cycle continues.

Out of this batch of 10 I'll try get a couple pairs out of them, and give one to a good mate and keep one for myself and keep the rest as display only fish.

I remember a bloke in Perth called Den posting some pics of his breeding pbass pair,,,, absolutely outstanding.

A well conditioned bonded pair is amazing.

Along with Azul and Kelberri, came Fogo also,,, but once here was never to be seen again, probably all died.

But apparently with Fogo, to get that crazy bright red through them, particular foods or diet is needed.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Outstanding looking fish Alex. Love me some mono. I lost my big male and ended up being heart broken and selling off my big tanks. But i am about to move interstate and want another big tank. Are Kelberi legitamtely here in oz, can someone confirm this for me. these are my must haves and were definitely not here when i left the hobby. I'll see if i can dig up any pics of mine. i started with 20ish and split mine up with yellow (jason, my best mate) but my big male got toabout 13 inches and had the most insane red id ever seen on a captive mono. Unfortunately i lost him to a late night tank strike. He looked like he may survive but a few days later he passed.

Archived