ox eye herring

boydie

hey all

just wondering if anyone out there has kept ox eye herring/tarpon before.

i have 2 small ones about 7 to 9cm in length,caught them while catching feeder fish for my jacks.

ive had them 2 weeks now and feeding well.and settled in very well.

if anyone has kept them before let me know how they go in a tank enviroment,and how fast do they grow?any feedback would be great,not much info on net about these guys in aquariums.

cheers boydie

hey there, at my local LFS they have had these for sale twice; first time they didnt do so good as they wouldnt take dry food... currently the second batch are being fed raw shrimp, and sometimes pellets (which they dont eat most of the time), and they havent grown much either in the last month or so. Out of curiousity what have you got them eating? cause i reckon these guys will definetely look good in a Central American cichlid tank just as long as they take dry food.

yeh nice looking fish,mine are in great condition as im feeding them live natural food such as small gudgens,guppies and the odd rainbow.

i have the herring in with large rainbows hoping they will teach the herring to eat pellets,ill see how i go!so far i dont think they are eating it.

does anyone else keep these guys,let us know.i would really like to no something on there growth rate!!!!

cheers boydie

• 1 month later...

i have 2 of these at about 35cms in a tank with about 20 different species of australian natives they will eat cut up white bait raw prawns and live feeders growth rate can be quick if you feed them heaps do you also know these can grow over 1 meter in length they will calm down and not be so skittish once they settle in hope this helps cheers

shannon

Archived