severe bloat then severe sunken belly on a neolamprologus multifaciatus

shamrock4life01

Hey guys, last night I aquired 4 new multies off a guy in Sydney. I did a 25% water change in my tank that morning. My ph was 7.8 and temp about 25°C. His tank looked a little over stocked but the fish he caught for me appeared very happy well coloured little fish. When I got them home one of the males had a severely bloated belly. I followed my normal procedure of adding 1 cup of my tank water to the new fish bucket every ten minutes for an hour before releasing my new little shell dwellers into my tank. I didnt add any of the foreign water only the fish. That was when I noticed the large males stomach appeared severely bloated. I left it till this morning when my lights go on and the first thing I noticed is that his belly is now badly sunken. Whats going on? He ate some flake along with the others who appear to be still very healthy?

Its a good sign that he is eating. Is it possible he ate a lot at the previous owners, causing his belly to swell which has since gone down?

It is a problem when you notice him stopping eating. Be on the lookout for white stringy poop, if you notice that, you know its the flagellate best to quarantine the little guy and do a dmz treatment. If you have a spare tank for quarantine that is.

Keep in mind it came from a crowded tank.

Fish in crowded tanks usually have a smaller intake of food due to constant competition.

At 4.39pm today you said it looks better.

Then at 8.31pm today you said bloated again.

It sounds like you possibly may be over feeding.

And your fish at the same time is use to light feeds.

Try feeding more sparingly.

Archived