Got a canister filter which no longer works?

Cichlid_Boy

This is maybe common sense to a lot of people, but I thought it might be worth pointing out.

If you have a canister filter which no longer pumps water (but is otherwise fine) - it can be worth hanging onto.

You can use it as a 'slave', in-line with another working canister. You chain them together with the final canister in the series being the working one which returns water to the tank. I set this up tonight and it's working great, without any noticeable reduction in flow. I also tested the current draw from the working unit, and it is unchanged. So basically you get double the filtration (media) for the same electricity consumption.

A better option for my mind would be running an external inline pump on the broken canister.

The advantage would be if the one remaining pump on your working canister fails you wouldn't lose both filters. You'd also get a higher water turn over that just a single pump.

Joining two canisters together will not increase the output of either canister. It would be much better to run two separate canisters or run one as a slave.

Had been looking for an old canister to do same thing

to increase the filtration (media volume)

Did same with a 30 Ltr plastic drum .

Works fine , just another version of a sump,

Slave first then working canister to tank

Sealed system air/water tight as with a canister filter with or without a slave canister ,

16mm hose into both tank and canister 12mm outlet back to tank

standard eheim hoses . works fine for me

Archived