Larger Tanganyikan Predators...

goldenswimmers

Well done. They must like their new home.

Now for the kendali.

Ha ha :drunk: cheers Wayne...they were obviously happy little guys..the trick will be to keep them spawning often..the change of scenery can sometimes trigger a spawn so yep hopefully its a sign of things to come mate...

and yep now to the Kendali...have to say the Attenuatus are a great fish :notworthy: (would be great in a community tank too I reckon)and don't seem to have as much of the killer in them as the Kendali :rant: which makes them a lot easier to work with...these damn Kendali have been tricky :wallbash: and seems half the time its just keeping them alive and juggling them from tank to tank to avoid the deaths :huh: ...

Thanks again Wayne and hoping these guys and the Kendali can help me get some Elongatus...really feed my love for the lepidio's! :drooling:

Hey guys just thought Id share some more info on the Lepidiolamprologus family as they are in my own opinion the real predator family of lake Tanganyika and are due some appreciation if you ask me :notworthy: ha ha...

Here is a quick excerpt from Practical Fish Keeping:
"There are currently seven(?) valid species in Lepidiolamprologus: attenuatus, cunningtoni, elongatus, kendali, mimicus, nkambae and profundicola. All share the same elongate shape and predatory mouth, and range from 15-30cm/6-12” in length, so large as Lamprologine cichlids go.

They become impressive as they grow and mature, with highly visible teeth, and a 30cm L.elongatus must be a terrifying sight for any small fish unlucky enough to share the same habitat."

Well now here's a look at some of the family members..

Lepidiolamprologus Profundicola (believed to be here in Oz and if so very very rare)
Lepidiolamprologus_profundicola_8383_zps

Lepidiolamprologus_profundicola_8314_zps

Lepidiolamprologus Elongatus (very rare)
f-tc62_zpsf3003ecd.jpg

lelongatus2_zpscd8d6211.jpg

lelongatus1_zps7672319b.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Kendali (uncommon/rare)
Kendalli38.jpg

Kendali18.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Nkambae (rare/very rare)
Very hard to spot differences between Kendalli and Nkambae but DNA tests prove they are separate varieties.
23143_zpsa9c8815f.jpg

nkambae_zpsgvimp2bz.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Attenuatus (very rare)
zpostIMG_7283copya.jpg

Afbeelding116.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Cunningtoni (very rare)
Lepidiolamprologus_cunningtoni_1439_zpso

cunningtoni_zpspkqiuwar.jpg

lepidio-cunningtoni-ai_zpst2ml2tkh.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Mimicus (not available!?)
mimicus_zpse09tra10.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Kamambae (newly discovered and not available!)
lepidiolamprologus_kamambae_kamamba_isla

And here's some of the smaller guys....yep still with some serious attitude :rant:

Lepidiolamprologus Lemairii (uncommon)
lepidiolamprologuslemairi_zpsfde01689.jp

lemairii_zpstdpukmc5.jpg

Lepidiolamprologus Pleuromaculatus (very rare/not available!?)
l_pleuromaculatus_1_zpsuweu6p37.jpg

LepidiolamprologusPleuromaculatus_zpstet

Lepidiolamprologus Boulengeri (uncommon)
boulengeri2_zpsohdibjbx.jpg

lepidiolamprologus-boulengeri-kigoma_zps

Lepidiolamprologus Hecqui (uncommon)
hecqui1_zpstmj6yl6b.jpg

hecqui2_zps5qp7vjvp.jpg

And yep a little video showing them in their natural habitat...great watch even if I have no idea what hes talking about! :huh: felt for the Elongatus in the net..great size but I guess that might also be a great size for a dinner plate too!...

Great article and video. They are a very underrated species and it fantastic to see that there are still people with the passion to ensure that what species we do have in the country are preserved.

I had a pair of Kendalli 10 or 12 years ago. They were the 2 fish species that I really wanted from Tanganyika. the other being quality calvus. I set up a calvus tank with around 10 breeding adults...all was good. Put in my kendalli...all was good though they were pretty terriorial of their corner. Then I was given a pair of Chalinochromis popelini and this was where the war started. It was a short war and unfortunately the kendalli did not survive.

I still miss those fish :bye:

I had a pair of Kendalli 10 or 12 years ago. They were the 2 fish species that I really wanted from Tanganyika. the other being quality calvus. I set up a calvus tank with around 10 breeding adults...all was good. Put in my kendalli...all was good though they were pretty terriorial of their corner. Then I was given a pair of Chalinochromis popelini and this was where the war started. It was a short war and unfortunately the kendalli did not survive.

I still miss those fish :bye:

wow.....seems very hard to believe that the C.Popelini took out the Kendali :blink were the Kendali adults?.....I think my adult Kendali's would make very short work of some Popelini.....might be different if the Kendali were young and were up against adult established pairs... :huh:..maybe they tried to take on both of the other types...bad move :unsure

Im finding them to be super aggressive :rant: and able to take on much larger(slightly confused :unsure fish!)

DSCN0971_zpsaofsjqwd.jpg

DSCN1021_zpsbhssuzb5.jpg

Both species were around the same size. The kendalli may have been about 1/3 bigger. kendalli were long term established but when I put in the popelini they were relentless. It was a continuous barrage that eventually killed of my pair. My tank at the time was extrememly rock heavy and was set up as my calvus (leptosoma, nigripinnis, nasuta etc) tank as I bought half a dozen different pair from around Aus so the kendalli unfortuately had to survive or perish.

Archived