Canberra Cichlids

kcfongie

New to the forum! Hellow everyone. :D

I've started setting up a tank specially for Malawi cichlids, and looking for good quality fish in canberra.

Not much luck so far. The only good fish shop i know is Jem Aquatics, which doesn't seem to have the fish i'm looking for now.

Any suggestions on where people get good fish around Canberra?

*I'm particularly looking for Ps saulosi.

New to the forum! Hellow everyone. :D

I've started setting up a tank specially for Malawi cichlids, and looking for good quality fish in canberra.

Not much luck so far. The only good fish shop i know is Jem Aquatics, which doesn't seem to have the fish i'm looking for now.

Any suggestions on where people get good fish around Canberra?

*I'm particularly looking for Ps saulosi.

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of Canberra based cichlid keepers on the forum some of whom I believe keep saulosi.

Cichlids don't seem to be too popular with the LFS in Canberra, I know Jem don't keep saulosi because they say they are too aggressive but they're happy to sell auratus :blink You could try Neptune's Haven in Queanbeyan they often have plenty of cichlids.

Check out cdas.org.au we have a forum there too and a classified section. There's a club meeting and auction at the German Harmonie Club in Narrabundah next Tuesday night (16 Feb) at 8pm.

HAH! its alive and bustling with live i see!

Thx for the warm welcome guys!

I'll be sure to post up some pics when its all set up. Surely it will not dissapoint.

Only one obstacle to get through in setting it up, THE WIFEY! but i'm sure i can deal with that later.

Now, the tank is a 4x1.5x1.5 ft.

Planning to set it up my favorite way, which is undergravel filter + ultrafine sand + powerhead + external canister. Decorated with lots of rocks collected at streams and rivers to giv it a true malawi feel.

Things will come together over the next few weeks / months.

Now,... fish fish fish... I'm looking to set up a tank with at least 2 colors,... blue and yellow are my fav fish colors. I initially had a community tank, but found that it was difficult to manage different species in a single tank as they go through many hierachical changes through their growing stage as one outgrows another, and as they go into maturity and starts marking their territory etc....

so,.. i'm hoping to keep things simple and easy with a single species tank. And so i'm going for Ps saulosi!! It can be both yellow and blue!! TADAAAA :thumbup: solves my problem.

Now the thing is just getting a batch of good quality ones, which will last me for years to come, and hopefully with plenty of offspring which will find its way back to the lovely community it came from.

Hi and welcome,

im not much of a malawi expert but im in the same situation as you!!

CANT GET THE DAMN FISH!!!

im looking on getting tangs but if you want yellow and blue go for electric yellows n blues

thats a good size tank for a colony of blues and a colony of yellows :yes:

but as i said at the start im no expert on malawians <_<

hope this helps!

PS:do what u like im just trying to help!

Salousi are awesome fish if you can get the good ones.

Others to consider would be Msobo. They also have blue males and yellow females and it would be easier to get some good ones IMHO.

Like has been mentioned. Check out the CDAS forums and maybe go along to one of their meeting and meet the locals.

Josh

OKAY! It finally looks presentable enough to have a picture taken!!

My tank is now doing nitrogen cycle day 2. Today, i added all the rocks, and arranged them for at least 5~6 hours before I finally got it to look JUST THE WAY I WANT IT!! :lol1:

It was especially hard to arrange the rocks because i want it to be viewable from both sides. So all the rock formations must go in the middle, and look presentable front and back. SUCH A PAIN!! but the results,... i'm sure u all will agree with me is WORTH IT! :lol2:

Special tanks to Rosco, Skippy, and many others who gave me advice on take setups through PM. Appreciate it guys! Hope to see you guys in person one day, but for now, let me introduce my tank:

This is the side facing my dining area:

IPB Image

This is the side facing guest area. My lounge is right beside it, so i can watch both TV and my tank haha:

IPB Image

Diagonal:

IPB Image

Picture of the big bad rock:

IPB Image

Gonna get Yellow labs from rosco, and some demasoni from either one of 3 sources now... maybe some from each. :D

Little demons and yellows are a good combo but I would question the number of demasoni you are proposing. I would get 20 or more to really jam them in there. You might not have any problems with them early on but you will when they breed. Makes me wish that I had them still the little so and so's (the demons that is) NOT!!!! <_<

nice looking tank BTW.

cheers Rosco

Archived