Bath Alarm Success

I bought a bath alarm, recommended by Matthew, a while ago, to use in conjunction with my water change barrels when being filled. Got sick of flooding my garage, and was paranoid about doing it even once inside the house when filling my water change tank under my big tank.

This latter one due to difficulty of access to water change tank, I decided to modify the alarm. I drilled hole in its side and passed two wires through it, and soldered them to the back of the two contact points that close the circuit when the water passes/touches them. This means I can have the bath alarm outside the water change container, and put the two wires into the water change tank when it is being filled. Once the water hits them, the alarm goes off, I remove the wires from the water, the alarm stops thumbup.gif .

In the garage I just hang the bath alarm in the barrel itself, which is a great peace of mind as I can carry on with maintenance, secure in the knowledge it will sound once the water has reached it (I’ve lost count of the number of times I cleaned my garage floor blush.gif ).

I bought the alarms from were Matthew told me, at a place called the Warehouse, which had them on special at the time for $3.99 down from $11.99 (I bought three for the price of one which was a real bonus.

Craig

G'day

Well done Craig thumb.gif

I was not so technical, I simply made a 'coathanger' wire frame that the bath alarm fits into. Then I simply move it between the barrels as I fill them.

One day when I get some spare time blush.gif a will build your modification into the alarm. That day I assure myself is coming - any year now. shock.gif

You can also buy a float valve (like you get in toilets) where when the float object reaches a certain level the water is cut off.

This would be preferable as it means instead of an alarm going unheard and still flooding the water would be turned off.

These float valves are common in most hardware and plumbing establishments.

This would be preferable as it means instead of an alarm going unheard and still flooding the water would be turned off.

I have been at Matthews doing water changes(another task I preform for him) and you couldnt miss the alarm laugh.gif

Josh

The problem with a float valve is that the ball itself has to go inside the container. If you are short of room here, which I was in particular with my water change tank under my big tank, I would have meant sacrificing around....10cm of water.

Both my barrels have lids, and the float valve would have been hindered by this if I had the float valve turning the water off at the spot where I normally leave the water level.

Yes something that would turn itself off would be better again, I have three all plastic float valves at home and I've never used them. I think partly because I would have had to put a hole in the barrel itself (which for some reason I have an issue with confused.gif ), and also partly because if you have to drag a hose in anyway. A ball valve is of more appeal to me when the water is plumbed on (turn on the tap, and float valve turns it off), but when you have to drag a hose in, you have issues of water dripping from the hose connections.

With the bath alarms, the whole hose end goes into the barrel, and there are no issues with dripping connections.

Craig

I was not so technical, I simply made a 'coathanger' wire frame that the bath alarm fits into.

hey Matty

i'm not as technical as you, i just use a wire hook. 'cause the suction cap wont hold to the plastic barrel.

hi Craig

thanks for the heads up mate, i rushed into the 'local' grabed the last 2, still at the discount price. now i can put the mop away as well thumbup.gif

cheers; C

hi Craig

thanks for the heads up mate, i rushed into the 'local' grabed the last 2,  still at the discount price.  now i can put the mop away as well

Glad to help Collin. Why do you prefer these to a float valve system – same reasons as me?

Glad to help Colin.  Why do you prefer these to a float valve system – same reasons as me?

i have the water plumbed into my f/room, but it's just to easy to drop the hose in the barrel. now i can set the alarm and go about doing the chores,

minus 1, no mop LOL.gif

cheers; Colin

Archived