DIY Melafix Substitute

</DIV><H1>DIY Melafix substitute</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: iamguiness</STRONG><BR><BR>A while ago there was discussion on the forum about the possibility of using Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) as a subsititute for the 'Real McCoy' of Catjeput Oil (M. quinquenervia) as is used in Melafix.

<br>

To follow this up i'd like to inform everyone that I have been using it with good results. I used 1ml to 120ml of water, of this I used 5ml/40L daily (half Melafix's dose just to be safe) on a beaten up female Auratus. In a week an open wound has healed and her caudal fin is regenerating. I hope this helps anyone, it is heaps cheaper.

<br>

<br>

Lloyd

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Lloyd,

<br>

<br>

Thanks for that - this will definately go into the Archives/Forum FAQ

. I have always thought it was odd that tea tree oil comes from a Melaleuca, a genus in which most member species are commonly known as paper barks and not tea trees - while oil from tea tress (genus: Leptospermum) never gets a look in

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>what does melafix usually treat?

<br>

<br>

Thanx

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arj</STRONG><BR><BR>Lloyd,

<br>

i'm bloody confused!

i thought melafix had tea tree exract! so then which stuff did you get and for how much? if i go to like a health food shop what do i ask for?

<br>

<br>

thanks

<br>

<br>

Arj.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>No please! Stop with those plant names. Its bringing back bad memories of Tafe!

<br>

Tim

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: iamguiness</STRONG><BR><BR>OK, all apologies, I got ahead of my horticulturist self. I will explain as best I can.

<br>

<br>

Melafix, which is used as an antibacterial agent for aquarium usage, contains the oil of the Catjeput tree as its main constituent. The Catjeput or five veined paperbark (Melaleuca quinquenervia) is an Australian native that has established itself in the Florida swamps to disastrous consequences. I would guess that Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, whom make Melafix, have made an economically viable way to get rid of this weed. The Catjeput tree is very closely related to the tea tree (M. alternifolia) which is used in the manufacture of common household aussie Tea Tree Oil.

<br>

<br>

Melafix comes in 1% and 5% solutions, copying the former I made my own 1% solution of treatment by adding 1ml of Tea Tree Oil to 120ml of water, taking into account the oil is denser than water. The commercial preparation of Melafix woul contain some sort of emulsifier to prevent the oil and the water from seperating, I overcame this by shaking buggery out of the bottle before using. To simulate the real McCoy as a wound treatment, this stock solution can then be added to the aquarium at a rate of 5ml to 40L daily for 7 days followed by a 25% water change. Treatment can be repeated if neccesary.

<br>

For new additions and after handling fish 5ml to 40L daily for 4 days.

<br>

<br>

***I will add that I have only tried this at half strength, i.e. 5ml to 80L. Although I can't imagine it being detrimental, take it easy***

<br>

<br>

Lloyd

<br>

<br>

PS For anyone who cares the Americans got it wrong anyway, M. quinquenervia isn't actually Catjeput. Catjeput (M.catjuputi) is a closely related ally of 5 veined paperbark (M. quinquenervia). I suppose Catjeput had a more exotic ring to it

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arj</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks Lloyd. i'll go get some tea tree oil and see how it mixes in the water.

<br>

<br>

Thanks again

<br>

<br>

Arj.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Guys -

<br>

<br>

It is a trifle tragic that Australian plants need to become weeds overseas before they get any commercial interest.

<br>

<br>

... Maybe someone should get into Austmelafix

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiShyGuy</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

May i ask where to buy Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)?

<br>

<br>

as the idea of it is wonderful

i want to give a try

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: iamguiness</STRONG><BR><BR>fishyguy

<br>

Tea Tree Oil is available at chemists, health food stores and supermarkets

<br>

<br>

yew

Archived