Top/Mid Dwelling Cichlids

Bonjour

I know cichlids are mainly bottom dwellers, but I was after some cichlids / cichlid-friendly fish that are mid to top dwellers to liven my tank up.

So far I have had 1 blue dwarf gourami (top dweller) in there for the last 4 months and he is doing fine, they don't really go near him....wondering if I should get more or maybe its because he has grown up with them so far?

The cichlids are around 1.5-2.5 inches. The tank is about 50cm high and 100cm long.

Cichlids:

Electric Yellow x 4

(Black) Convict - biggest in the tank, 2-3 inches

(White) Convict x 2 - tiny

Venustus (or similar?)

Electric Blue Johanni (or similar?)

Tropheus Duboisi

Red Jewel

Jacobfreibergi

Aulonocara stuartgranti "Chipoka" x 4 - tiny

Others:

Red-fin shark

Cleaning Crew:

Clown Loach

Synodontis Petricola Catfish

wow.. you have quite a range of fish in there..

1stly - you only have 1 clown loach. Clowns are schooling fish and you need at least 5 or 6 of them for them to be happy

and secondly - your is only about 3', so I dont think that it is big enough for you to put anything else in it..

just my opinion - others may differ

cheers

Leone

wow.. you have quite a range of fish in there..

1stly - you only have 1 clown loach. Clowns are schooling fish and you need at least 5 or 6 of them for them to be happy

and secondly - your is only about 3', so I dont think that it is big enough for you to put anything else in it..

just my opinion - others may differ

cheers

Leone

Thanks for the heads up, will get some more loaches...needed to get some more cleaners anyhow. But are there any little fish that go well with cichlids?

I would say you have enough fish in the tank. Especially since some of them are young and have lots of growing to do. You may have some problems in your future if your convicts decide to breed. They will brutalize pretty much every other fish in there. You haven't included sizes for many of the fish. The venustus for example will become large, and find most small mid water fish a tasty snack.

Its true, you have a huge range of fish in there. How long they last in your tank is another matter. Really, it would probably be a very good idea to review your mid to long term plans for your tank. I am just being honest, I dont think the mix you have in there is bound for long term success in a tank that size. I'm reasonably confident some other members will share my opinion somewhat.

Both types of Aulonocara are better suited to a bigger tank. Its also highly recommended not to mix different species of Aulonocara as they are inclined to hybridize. The venustus will likely get too big eventually, but will be ok for a while. The shark, loach, red jewel, and convicts are not african cichlids and while they may be happy enough in there, do prefer different water conditions to african cichlids. The johanni, tropheus, electric yellows, and petricola will probably be alright together. If the johanni turns out to be a male, he may become quite aggressive. Tropheus have special dietary requirements, and can be aggressive also, but mainly to their own kind. The gourami is not matching with anyone, but because he keeps out of the way is doing ok. They generally prefer lower oh conditions unlike the african cichlids. As I mentioned, if the convicts decide to breed, which they surely will if there is a male and a female. You can be pretty sure they will basically kill everything else but themselves.

We are here to help you, and share our experience with you. Please ask more questions if you are confused. I have a question, which of those fish do you like the best? This will help us suggest how you can balance out your tank, and what the future holds.

cheers,

Jason

Thats cool man, trying to raise them from fry to adults so they get used to each other and see how we go. I am still learning and experiencing it all, cheers for the help it was a good read.

And to be honest, I am not even sure if it is a venustus, it is a very light lilac with about 7 black vertical stripes. Looks like a poor mans Frontosa...forgot to get its scientific name, and the shop is a hike away.

See how we go aye. I like them all pretty equally, but I am more into the colourful fish, going for all different colours so they blend well. So, atm the Aulonocara look like dirt, waiting for them to mature and see how many males I have.

I dont really want to get rid of anything, but I guess I could trade a few pet stores around my area.

Archived