Cloudy Eye and White Patches?

flamjam

I have a holding female Hongi that seems to have a very cloudy eye and some white patches. I have had her in a separate tank for a week or so, but today is the first day that her eye has been bad as well as the first day with the white patches. I tried to upload pics, but it told me that jpeg were not allowed. Anyone know what might be wrong with her without seeing pics?

Water parameters in the tank are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5 Nitrates

Cheers

It could be an injury to the eye, where sometimes the cornea gets cloudy if it has been scratched. Sometimes those types of injuries can heal up OK as the cornea usually heals. But another possibility is a bacterial infection if the eye is white all the way through and it doesn't look like its just on the surface.

The female gets beaten up during spawning sometimes epecially with mbuna.

When the fish holds onto eggs for the duration, obviously the fish lacks in food.

The stress of breeding, possible beating and no food all contributes to being susceptible to having low immune system.

So generally after after the brooding time is over, it is only then it can get on top and start healing.

Usually if I have a beaten female that's holding, I'll generally strip eggs and put in tumbler,, so the female can start eating and condition back up nicely without pressures compromising immune system.

Constantly breeding females with relentless males wanting to breed is very taxing on females, especially with productive mbuna types.

Archived