Sick fish

sam.apo

I hope im in the right section off the forum for this.. jus realised maybe topic should be in FAQ area.. yes changed water the 2nd test strip was after approx 30% water change.. i havent seen any bullying. The fish had no bite marks or anything last night to suggest it.... i also lost 1 last week ..similar situation... jus saw him swimming slow n breathing fast .. im new to fish and aquariums.. first tank ..any advice is much appreciated

Sam you are doing the right things by doing the water changes, undertaking water testing and monitoring you fish.

Chuck suggestion that you may have another fish that has died and is decomposing is a good one.

Have you done anything different lately that may have affected the health of the filtration. It may not have fully cycled.

In regards to the best place to post this type of post the Technical Forum is probably the best place. I will move it for you at some stage.

Ged

Its a 6x2x2 it has a sump filter its been running for about 3 months.. i added ..water ager and bio active. N was running for about 2 weeks b4 putting 7 fish in for 2 weeks ..2 died 2 days after putting them in.. i then waited about 3 weeks then got 10 more fish .. they were in for about 5 weeks.. 2 weeks ago i added 10 more.. now 2 have died in the last week.. i have been doing weekly 30% water changes

.up untill now i havent had much changes in the water tests..

If your adding 10 adult fish in at a time and piling in alot more food you may be spiking the tank with mini cycles.

3 months isn't really a fully established tank cycle. It may be enough for the load you had but adding alot of fish can add quite a load if all at once.

If you see a fish panting with the symptoms yours displayed its a high chance you have ammonia or nitrite. Alot of people consider ammonia to be the main issue but nitrite kills fish as well. If you are showing readings of either then you need to be doing water changes to reduce them to zero.

Also reduce your feeding. Alot of people feed every day but they really only need it every other (especially with test readings) If feeding daily just make the feedings a little smaller.

Once the bacteria builds a solid base through your tank and sump then you can increase feed.

Ok thanks for the advice chuckmeister. I do feed them every night maybe a bit much... i also havent given the gravel a good clean since setting up due to not having a decent siphon i was thinking of getting the eheim vac ..has anyone got this vac??

Just grab a bottle of seachem prime and use as per instructions. It will detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate,

Just feed lightly every second day for next two weeks.

You should travel fine it looks like minor periodical issues you have,,, not big.

Every time you add fish,, skip feeding that day and next day,, while your tank is reasonably new.

Really concentrate on feeding,,, not to much,,,, miss one day a week as normal regime and don't feed till big round bellies,,, better to be flat to very slightly rounded after feeding.

If you notice big bellies the next day before feeding, then miss another day.

If your water is 24'c then you feed less,, if your water is 27'c then you can feed a little more.

These types fish metabolisms works faster when water is warmer.

Just grab a bottle of seachem prime and use as per instructions. It will detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate,

You should travel fine it looks like minor periodical issues you have,,, not big.

Every time you add fish,, skip feeding that day and next day,, while your tank is reasonably new.

Really concentrate on feeding,,, not to much,,,, miss one day a week as normal regime and don't feed till big round bellies,,, better to be flat to very slightly rounded after feeding.

If your water is 24'c then you feed less,, if your water is 27'c then you can feed a little more.

Can i add the blue planet bio active

I have some of that..

Your tank doesn't look cycled judging from your test results, either that or your filtration hasn't been able to keep up with the rapid increase in stocking. Either way you are now mid-cycle with about 20 fish. I would:

* Dose *daily* with Seachem Prime to detoxify ammonia and nitrite (the detoxifying effect only lasts for 24hrs, according to Seachem). You can use up to 5x the normal dose, your readings are not off the charts so I'd dose for the tank volume.

* Perform partial water changes maybe up to twice a week, nothing too major if you are using Prime to detoxify. If not using Prime daily then do daily water changes.

* Be gentle with your filtration and substrate at this point, don't go disturbing the bacteria colonies any more than necessary.

Once nitrites drop to 0 then your cycle is complete and you can settle on a normal regime (note that using Prime will give you false readings of ammonia).

Make sure you use a water conditioner when changing water, one that can handle chlorine and chloramine. No need to test for nitrate at this point as it is only toxic in very high concentration and your water changes will keep it well under harmful levels.

Also if you haven't yet I would read up a little about the nitrogen cycle, it will help you in the future. :)http://seriouslyfish.com/cycling-an-aquarium/

Good luck!

Can i add the blue planet bio active

I have some of that..

It's not the same as seachem prime mate.

The blue planet is just beneficial bacteria seeding agent.

Seachem prime is a chemical, active part sulphur, and it works instant,,,, ammonia and nitrite still will remain, but they are rendered non toxic to fish, by seachem prime addition.

Short term giving your fish relief till your back on track, seachem prime is it.

Your actions of maybe over feeding and/or adding sudden stock numbers to a partial mature system has caused a ammonia spike.

The fact that your nitrates have slightly built up indicates things have been running ok at some stage or close to ok,

The nitrite is just what follows after a ammonia spike,,,, so your at the tail end of the little disaster.

Go easy on feeding and Definetely get seachem prime,,,,, and you'll be fine for sure,,,, it's not a grave circumstance.

Follow advice precisely, try not to make do with other treatments that don't suit the situation.

decaa32764bffa195f2b190148eb142a.jpg

All back to 0

3 water changes did it

Thanks for the guidance guys

Much appreciated! !

First tank/ fish.

i kinda freaked out. Did not want to loose the whole tank of fish this early in. I think it may have been a mix of things that did it.. new fish ..not enough water changes and stirring up the sump the day b4 i put 10 fish in...the plecos find their way into the weir.. and the only way to get them back is to flush them through into the sump.. n when i didnt catch him he went into the filter media .. i pulled it all out to get him..it send lots of crap through the filter n back up into the tank.. theres 1 in the sump now but i might leave him there for now[emoji12]

Thanks again!!

Archived