Canister media

tootie

I use Eheim 2217 canisters on some of my tanks. How often should you replace the Eheim media (balls)? What about the noodles? Are you best to replace the Eheim balls with larger bio balls? Good to hear others experiences. Thanks.

It is widespread knowledge that bioballs are far more effective in trickle style filters rather than submerged in a canister or similar, noodles and ceramic media should never really need replacing but do need the occasional flushing depending on the bio load. Research modern filter media, you cannot really go wrong these days and although certain media may slightly outperform other media it is pointless arguing which is the best.

How old are your filters and media, and exactly which media are you running?

Use Eheim 2217 filters. Currently 5 running (2 brand new) and others range from 6-10 years old that still work as well as when I bought them.

I've always used the Eheim media that comes with the filters.

I've never replaced the ceramic balls or noodles however when I clean filters they also get a good clean. Have replaced the blue sponges and change filter wool every filter clean. I do this approx every 3 months. Seems to work fine however an aquarium owner suggest that the balls should be replaced and bio balls were a better option so interested to see what others experiences were.

hmmmmm so Shirley he wants to sell you plastic bio balls to be submerged in your Eheims basically

Bio balls were designed for wet/dry sumps so they weren't in a submerged application

for submerged applications you are better to use seachem matrix or marinepure spheres or clay balls

or one of the ceramic media that is porous

by balls I take it you mean substratpro

no need to replace the sponge when you filter clean just rinse them and replace the filter wool

The bio balls were marine pure spheres- didn't know proper name before - thanks

Yes the Eheim are pro substrate.

Am I best to replace the Eheim pro substrate to the marine pure spheres or is it six and half a dozen?

Chris thanks for giving me the correct names of the products ???

Marine pure spheres are one of the new type of media I was talking about but there is no need to replace your media, if setting up new perhaps but it would be a waste of money on a perfectly operational filter.

Plecosam is right. At the end of the day test ur water. If ur water is perfect no need to change anything u already hav a winning formula.

Marine pure is a great product. However like I said no need to change media if you have no problems.

Shirley

you can add the spheres if you like for additional bio media and

they are supposed to be the latest and greatest giving larger surface

area for size

I don't think you will have a noticeable change in water parameters

if you do add spheres to the substrat pro that is already in there seeing

that is already colonised with bacteria

Archived