What did you do to your aquariums today?

Ant

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rescaped and cleaned the sand and did 50% water change ready for a colony of cyps coming on thursday. excuse the sponge, im seeding it for a fry tank.

DSC_0346_zpsb86c925a.jpg

What do you think? Im also planning on adding a small colony of ochrogenys to this tank aswell, but will remove the rocks on the far right and left to give them some sand room....

Looks good mate. I love simple and clean looking tanks!!

Thanks Ant, Im sure that the cyps will make up for the plain looking rocks and sand, oh and the black calvus too :) they dont look half bad over the dark rocks. The pearly spots come up great.

my 20w T8 tube blew on my apisto setup, and the fish are coming on wednesday!!! :wallbash: it will take at least a week to a tube to come from AOA, so im not sure what to do yet.... at the moment im using the 3ft 30w from the above tank to keep the plants alive, it looks yucky yellow on the planted and tannin heavy tank lol.

Might have to temporary rig something and order from aoa... if ever you cant find something in your LFS that you need, go on Age Of Aquariums, its all their, just have to wait for delivery!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Like most fish deaths was 'because of a decision I made' to put them in my garage, which is gyprocked but not insulated. Strange thing is I've never lost fry because of the heat in that particular tank. My only other theory is that there was a fight to the death between 4 of them and there is still one in the tank going well. Wouldn't surprise me with Brichardi.

Ant

Spent about 1.5hrs of 'work' time gazing at the tank watching antics and trying to determine which species will spawn first. Got onto Gumtree and nearly bought a 4ft for grow out tank...realised this is an addictive hobby. Got plenty of compliments on the tank from business visitors too! bonus

Ant, sorry to hear mate. Just interested to know why you put the tank in your garage. My next tank may well go there due to lack of space. How much different is the environment there? Could be an interesting topic/thread in itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about late reply. It is by the roller door and not well protected from heat. Have been breeding bn and raising both O.Lithobate and Ps. Elongatas in it for a couple of years with no major problems. Only issue was with the N.brichardi. I'm finding that these Malawi fry are pretty tolerant of hight temperatures, even in extended hot periods, as are the BN. It's not ideal but it has worked for me for a while.

Ant

Any

Rescaped and cleaned the sand and did 50% water change ready for a colony of cyps coming on thursday. excuse the sponge, im seeding it for a fry tank.

DSC_0346_zpsb86c925a.jpg

What do you think? Im also planning on adding a small colony of ochrogenys to this tank aswell, but will remove the rocks on the far right and left to give them some sand room....

Hey cooder, just wondering what rock you used in your tank? Looks great!!!!

That came out of the area in front of a big drain going under the road, flowing into a small dam next door on rellies place, their was a fair bit excess and ive always thought the black granite type rock the council here uses for that purpose looks good, so i nicked some :lol5:

They are really quite heavy for there size, so are dense and have little light flecks in them as you may be able to see on the biggest flat bit on the right hand side in the middle with no sand on it. looks like dark granite to me, i dont know exactly what it is though,

sorry :dntknw:

set up a new "indoor" pond for growing out my fancy goldfish babies(yeah I know hardly a cichlid but they are sweet :drooling: )...and then checked in on the new group of Kendalli...got them yesterday and all are happy little predators making me a happy little fishkeeper :no: ...and the daily water changes routine for the youngsters continues :wallbash:...hundreds of fry in tanks saying "hey how about more food and oxygen buddy :grrr: "

Rebuilt my 6x2x2 amazon tank from the glass up, gravel, decor, plants and some new techie bits, looking at a Grobeam set up for this tank.

Drawing plans up for the 10x3x2 African tank is this evenings "joy". This one might become a journal. It's going to be a bloody long haul, then a smashing at a mini auction to stock it.

Well technically I didnt do it, but i think the solid course of brine and a hefty water change helped

DSC_0469_zpsf6b72496.jpg

Yeh ill get some up soon i think, im just stumped that i went to the trouble of figureing out why the water "wast good" for them, then they do this!! they must like it enough to spawn?

Just thought id let you guys know was cleaning my tank and so on yesterday and went into the other room for a bit while the lid was off, in the meantime one of my brand new moori

dolphins decided to jump out while i wasnt there any way didnt realise untill yesterday and obviously it was too late!!! :wallbash: learnt a lesson there anyway!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived