New tank set up

Total

Hi all

I have set up a new tank . It has finished cycling and currently has 2 firemouth cichlids (suspected pair) and 15 Tiger Barbs (5 green , 10 Tiger). The tank dimensions are 120cm length , 80cm depth and 40 cm Width.

Is this still understocked and if so does anyone have any suggestions on additions. Cichlids or other I don't really mind, this is my first tank so Im not really sure on how much would make my tank overstocked.

Cheers

It is a small filter to use. Your tank doesn't appear to be over stocked but it is the filter you will need to watch.

Personally myself I'd stick in a couple of (small) clown loaches and a bristlenose to keep the tank clean. Maybe an L cat of some sort if they are available in your area.

for community fish with small bio load it would be OK

but if you intend to add more cichlids and some cats I would

get a second filter on the tank and maybe something a bit bigger

I would use the bigger one as the mechanical filter to remove

waste and particulates and turn the 2213 into a full biological

with matrix and foam intake sleeve

you will need the foam intake sleeve if they breed to stop fry

being sucked into the canister filter

Hey

Thanks for that I didn't know it was a small filter . To be honest I read that it filtered up to 250L which is roughly the amount of water in my tank atm and thought that was ok . I will search for something a bit stronger and try out your suggestion of one mechanical and one biological . All I own is some old filters made that where used on small 60 litre tanks. Ill keep a look out for some larger cheap filters as I already spent a fair bit setting this tank up. At current the water quality is good aside from nitrates I've had no spikes or anything since it cycled.

I was under the assumption that adding more cichlids to this tank would mean it was overstocked, I would've liked an Acara but I assumed it was to much . I actually thought of adding a bristlenose but was unsure how they would go with my barbs. Loaches are a good idea Ill add that one to my list of fish to look into.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Your filter capacity with cichlids should be around 5 to 10 times that of your volume so if you have a 100l tank you should be turning over any where between 500 and 1000lph if you are on a budget a sponge filter with Powerhead attachment is an awesome filter and only cost you around 30 bucks will clean all your waste and a great way for mechanical filtration.

Archived