Best food to feed small discus

Fins

<H1>Best food to feed small discus</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>hey i have some discus which range from 4-7cm and i was wondering what the best food is to feed them for colour and good growth.

<br>

<br>

Ryan

<p></P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fishboi2000</STRONG><BR><BR>i would say main diet of tetra bits, with the occasional feeding of live black worms and alot of water changes. this should see your discus growing happily and healthy!

<br>

goodluck

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>hey thanks

<br>

<br>

Does anyone else have another opinion on other foods

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: d8cky</STRONG><BR><BR>i'd say vary their food with combination of pellets, flakes, bloodworms, brineshrimp, blackworms, mysis and beefheart. imagine you eat same food everyday

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: yevrah</STRONG><BR><BR>Yes.. Beefheart.. Nothing better for growing out small discus. Other frozen fish dinners high in protein are good for variety - especially the brine shrimp. Dried foods, well, I'd stick to the Hikari range of high protein cichlid staple, and yes, tetra bit's are good too.

<br>

<br>

I've used blood worms before but only from reliable sources.

<br>

<br>

Best,

<br>

Harvey

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey

<br>

<br>

i tried feeding them some pellets and they wont eat them. They go for them but they dont seem to be able to get them in their mouth and chew them. It's really strange. How can i get them to eat the pellets. at the moment i am feeding bloodworms and they dont seem to be growing much.

<br>

<br>

Thanks Ryan

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Th0mas</STRONG><BR><BR>Mine goes for Tetra Bits, Sera discus granule, frozen bloodworm (Hikari), live blackworm, etc.

<br>

<br>

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: yevrah</STRONG><BR><BR>I've had this problem before. Use the worms to train them up to pellet food.

<br>

<br>

This can happen if the discus is raised in a bare bottomed tank and introduced to a decorated tank. They seem to get confused at finding pellet food - although their instincts kick in when fed live food like worms and brine shrimp.

<br>

<br>

It can also happen if the breeder grew them up on live food or beefheart and they've never encountered dry pellet/flake food.

<br>

<br>

They should be fine on any food in a few weeks time if you keep at it. My discus were so fussy when i first got them but now will eat whaterver gets thrown in the tank.

<br>

<br>

Good Luck,

<br>

Harvey

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey

<br>

<br>

I have been feeding them bloodworms for about 3 months and i am trying to get them to eat pellet. I have put a few pellets in everymorning and night since tuesday and they wont eat them. They kinda go for them but dont fit them in their mouth even though they are small tetra bits. How long should i go on putting pellets in because soon they will starve to death.

<br>

<br>

Ryan

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Spook79</STRONG><BR><BR>If you can get hold of the new frozen Posaqua Discus blend

<br>

it has beefheart, brineshrimp, bloodworms, vegies, garlic and yes bannana which is a very good vitamin source for them..

<br>

plus the garlic helps to keep the parasites and worms at bay

<br>

<br>

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Davo67</STRONG><BR><BR>Spook79,

<br>

<br>

Where did you get the Posaqua Discus Blend from and how much was it?

<br>

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

Dave,

<br>

Mosman, Sydney.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Spook79</STRONG><BR><BR>I am in Adelaide

<br>

<br>

here it is around $4 a pkt depends on how many

<br>

<br>

will try and find out who carries it in NSW for you

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks heaps guys

<br>

<br>

but when should i give up feeding them pellets if they just keep refusing, they could possibly starve to death.

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Age of Aquariums is advertising a 1mm granulated hi-protein food for $35 a kilo or $15 for 300g, under 1/2 of the price of tetra bits, ask Hyperdive (Andy) if they're any good.

<p>

<br>

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Thanks Everyone for all of the info.

<br>

<br>

I have tried since last monday to try and feed my discus pellets and they just wont eat them. Today i just decided to give up before they starved to death and went back to the usual feeding of bloodworms.

<br>

<br>

Does anyone have any good techniques for training these discus onto pellets.

<br>

<br>

Ryan

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: lighterrr</STRONG><BR><BR>Have you try feeding them beefheart?

<p>

PlecoFanatics.com

- Online Loricariidae Community</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: masterry</STRONG><BR><BR>No i havent tried beefheart. Where would i get some or should i make it off a diy site.

<br>

<br>

<br>

Ryan

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: yevrah</STRONG><BR><BR>You can buy beefheart from most pet stores, as well as a variety of other frozen foods.

<br>

<br>

As to why your discus wont touch pellets even after three months, that implies to me that the pellets might be past theyre use by date.

<br>

<br>

If you still have trouble try squeezing the juice from a fresh garlic onto the pellets. This is a known fish attractactant with the added benefit of helping to prevent worms and other parasites.

<br>

<br>

FYI Info on garlic below:

<br>

www.geocities.com/shtinky...garlic.htm

<br>

<br>

Beefheart (and other) recipe's can be found here:

<br>

article.dphnet.com/article.shtml

<br>

<br>