bulkhead washers

rosco

Hi all,

It is a simple enough question but I am not sure which way is correct or even if it matters. I finally stopped the flow to my slow leaking tank and drained it yesterday. When I took the bulkhead fitting off, I noticed that I put the flat side of the bulkhead washer against the glass and the ridged side against the bulkhead. I have a feeling that this is incorrect. Does the ridged side needs to be against the glass and flat side against the bulkhead fitting. Or did I have on correctly. Or does it really matter?

Can someone confirm or deny thinking?

Btw the way the leak was definitely coming through the bulkhead seal. I don't want to silcone it if I can possibly avoid it.

cheers

rosco

The ridges go towards the glass. The idea is that any small imperfections that may be present, concave or convex, will be filled/closed with these raised sections.

Some of these "washer" come without these ridges, but it is my opinion that ridged is better, and when present, I belive you have a better bulk head fitting.

I usually silicon mine in place as well. Washer to glass, not washer to bulk head fitting. There is no dramma in taking it off (it dosn't stick well to rubber, and a blade takes it off the glass), but you can be pretty confident that with the ridge side down to glass, and silicon, it will not leak.

After all, how much hassle did you go to when you were trying to sort out the leak you mentioned? blink.gif Much easier to go that extra step and not get the hassle thumb.gif .

Craig

The ridges go towards the glass.  The idea is that any small imperfections that may be present, concave or convex, will be filled/closed with these raised sections.

Some of these "washer" come without these ridges, but it is my opinion that ridged is better, and when present, I belive you have a better bulk head fitting.

I usually silicon mine in place as well.  Washer to glass, not washer to bulk head fitting.  There is no dramma in taking it off (it dosn't stick well to rubber, and a  blade takes it off the glass), but you can be pretty confident that with the ridge side down to glass, and silicon, it will not leak. 

After all, how much hassle did you go to when you were trying to sort out the leak you mentioned? blink.gif   Much easier to go that extra step and not get the hassle thumb.gif .

Craig

Thanks Craig and Andy thumb.gif, that is what I thought. I obviously was not paying much attention when I putting it all together. I have always suspected a slow leak but I did know from until about a month ago when the slow leak stepped itself up a notch.

Great suggestion Craig I will silcone the washer to the glass as suggested. I certainly don't want to go through this pain the you what process that I had to go through in this case no.gif.

cheers

rosco

if you do use the silicone it is very easy to overtighten the bulkhead and actually squeeze the washer out of place, be carefull.

Jeez trofius - you must be 6'2" and full of muscle! blink.gif "Squeeze the washer out of place" - I couldn't do that even with multigrips (which I use) - and I'm 6'2" (but regrettably, not full of muscle). cryblow.gif

It wasn't mentioned, but I have assumed that these bulk head fittings are the big black type purchased at an irrigation supply outlet. I have assumed this as these washers have ridges (the topic of conversation) and it is only from here I have seen these washes with ridges. If this assumption is correct, the washer is 40-50mm wide (from outside edge to centre – dependant of bulk head size), and I would find it completely impossible to squeeze it out or even imagine it being done thumbup.gif .

Craig

I have assumed that these bulk head fittings are the big black type purchased at an irrigation supply outlet

I've assumed the same thing, and agree it would be pretty hard to push the washers out of place smile.gif

Archived