timber/wood for bristlenose.

AgroDog

Question : is there any timber/wood that shouldn't be used in a tank for bristlenose or will any old piece of timber work. Also soft or hardwood. Was looking at using some hardwood offcuts from slabs of timber.

Not sure why no-one has answered this but there is no wood that bristlenose dont like that I have ever found. Soft wood is good for them to graze on. hard wood is great too.

If you are after something cheap and handy then go to your hardware store and buy some lengths of bamboo and cut the segments into little wood caves for them.

You will need to replace them every few months though, they love eating them.

Yeah i was surprised i got no answer. I have some yellowbox branches/logs round enough to bore holes in and make some caves but it is prob still a little green. Was going to make some shelter/cover out of slabs of wood aswell. Just wasn't sure how long it needed to age before using it. Not worried about tannins in the water.

Yeah i was surprised i got no answer. I have some yellowbox branches/logs round enough to bore holes in and make some caves but it is prob still a little green. Was going to make some shelter/cover out of slabs of wood aswell. Just wasn't sure how long it needed to age before using it. Not worried about tannins in the water.

Normally when I have new pieces of wood for my tank I put them in my sump with something heavy on them till they are water logged. You can do it in a tub outside as well.

By yellowbox do you mean gumtree?

If you can get a hold of some old gnarly mally roots then they look pretty cool and bristlenose love them too. They also dont have that tannin issue that you can get from other timbers.

edit - just want to add that there art probably some woods that are not suitable. For example I wouldn't put Eucalypt in there or anything that has high oils etc though most aussie wood I'd say is suitable.

Saw a doco on the tassie timber/logging history and a guy is pulling out old timber from the forrests and also what he called bog oak. I reckon that would be good as he was saying all the tannins have leached out over 1000 yrs or so.

Pretty sure I have tried gumtree logs quite a number of years ago and found that it was difficult to sink.

For me mally roots are the best because they are a hard wood, sink naturally, little tannins and last forever with the bristlenose rasping on it.

I dont think the BN will care either way though tbh.

I had a gum log in my tank with another log on one end and a lump quartz on the other, for months on months (and mine wasn't the first time it was soaked).
When I pulled apart my tank to move, it floated up way too quickly, like new timber. (Some long term wet timber will float a bit, but slowly)
I drilled in to it, and discovered the middle was still dry. I considered boring it out but ended up deciding I will use it as a display stand for fishing lures, not put it back in my tank - hahaha.

Anyone of you guys know where I can get some wood with a bit of tanins still in it? Apparently the tannins are good for stimulating the bristlenose to get into breeding mood but I dont want to stick in any old wood from a local creek or similar.

I just want to get them in the swing of things and get some fry happening!!

City farmers at our end does what I think is called gold vine roots,,, no tannin what so ever,, but they have a golden silvery look.

It's expensive but some of the most stunning show pieces I've seen and it's natural.

I've been told by a few people, but no experience at hand,,, is that jarrah can cause issues with fish.

Can anyone prove that wrong, as I I've often wondered if it's true.

I'd say the tannin bleeding out would be insane.

Teamsherman,, I've heard of people getting cheap little canister filters gutted out and chopping a bundle of grapevine branches and sticking them longways top to bottom till the canister is full,,, tannins are less visibly invasive but still there.

Again I've no experience with this.

I have plenty of Bn pairs, they are all in crystal clear prestean water and they still breed,,, some pairs just breed truckloads more often than others while some pairs hardly ever breed.

They are in the large recirc sump system as the cichlids are.

I have additional sponge filters with the Bn,,,, I deliberately let the sponges build up till there's hardly any flow coming out.

As soon as I clean them, days later, hey presto, I usually get a spawn.

That's the way it is for me.

If your doing all the right things and no spawns,,, get another pair.

I bought about 20 pairs till got about 4 good spawning pairs.

Archived