Wanted helpful hints

Nigel

I cant offer much advice Nigel as im pretty average myself

But most people seem to take pics with the macro function on, this will be identified by a flower icon usually

Also i notice if i have my house lights on and no flash the picture turns out better

HTH

Dave

Guest Panga

Nigel,

-Make your rooms dark and only leave the lighting on the tank you want to take pics of.

-Turn the light round so its facing back to front so its shining from the front of the tank to the back. By doing this your lighting up the side of the fish you want to take the photos of. If you leave the light in the middle or back it puts a shadow on the side of the fish you want to take pics of.

-Take your time. Just sit and wait for fish to swim into the part of the tank your taking photo of. Dont chase the fish as it will keep running and you'll never get a decent shot.

-If you use a flash, take the photo on a angle so you dont get flash back of the glass.

HTH Troy

HI Nigel

i have the same camera i make sure i turn the lights off on the tank and room lights and use the macro setting , use the flash and i put the camera right up against the glass, took many photos before i got any decent ones, but i think that was just me

cheers

If your camera has a manual focus function, it will help as well. Just focus on the gravel or a static object at the distance your fish ususlly swim past at. Then all you need to do is wait until they swim past at the right distance and the photo should be in focus. A lot of people have trouble as the camera tries to focus on the glass and not the fish.

Guest Gutty
i make sure i turn the lights off on the tank and room lights and use the macro setting , use the flash and i put the camera right up against the glass,

You turn your tank lights off ?

Can i ask why ? Usually the more light infront of the lens the better......to a certain extent anyway.

I don't think tripod is a good idea; I think tripods are essential, especially with the slow shutter speeds you get with room light off, no flash, only tank lighting.

Also play around with the colour balance.

For the IXUS 400, which I'm also using, I make sure the green focus rectangles are actually focusing on something useful.

Gutty

i use the canon ixus 400 and found the pics were too bright if the tank lights were on and were of poor quality, at least thats how i have been taking my fish pics with this camera , there might be simpler way if i got around to reading the manual

I wish the fish would just stay still long enough to take a photo
I have visions of Nigel swaying from side to side like a stick insect trying to get a shot lololol. That's the most frustrating part of photographing fish

BTW

Don't shoot square on to the tank if you use the flash

i use the canon ixus 400 and found the pics were too bright if the tank lights were on and were of poor quality, at least thats how i have been taking my fish pics with this camera  , there might be simpler way if i got around to reading the manual 

I'm also using the 400; by default, I have exposure compensation to -1EV in manual to improve colour saturation (without using vivid mode). Seems to work well.

Guest Panga

i only use a cheap HP Photosmart 320 camera thats 2.1MP

This camera doesnt have any options at all to change and i still get good pics from it.

HTH Troy

Archived