Filtration: Recommended Filters

YeW

Hi Guys -

I thought I'd start a list of recommended filters etc. Please also state the reason you like this filter over the competition.

Also - no naming of bad brands - just your favourite and why.

Copy and Paste this section and edit your choices:

Value for money:

Corner filter (Cheap, effective and quiet)

HOB:

Aquaclear, aquaclear, aquaclear. Excellent design, reliable and quiet.

Internal power filter:

Use to like the fluval range (don't know if they are available anymore)

Canister:

Eheim professional series - the square ones. Almost completely silent. Good design.

Cheers -

Value for money:

Yep~ I would also go for corner filter, it's cheap, quite, and easy to clean. But the appearance...hmm...looks not very nice in a display tank though.. rolleyes.gif

HOB:

Aquaclear!

Internal power filter:

Used to like Atman. But not anymore after switching to canister.

Canister:

Eheim Professional series. But they are too expensive for me to affort.

Now using Hydor Prime series (P10, 20, 30), which are so similar to Eheim. They are very very very quite (can't hear a noise even at night!) and have excellect design as well as value for money (I bought them from oversea, and only cost me AU$50 for a Prime 10! AU$75 for a Prime 20! AU$100 for Prime 30!!!) smile.gif

Value for money:

One of the DIY filters that Anita and Kevin taught us how to make.

HOB:

Aquaclear of course.

Internal power filter:

It is a bit hard to decide but I will choose Fluval because it has an indicator to tell you when it is starting to become clogged.

Canister:

Eheim Prof II. It is really handy if you get the one with the built in heater and it is easy to clean because it uses baskets to hold the media. It has some minor problems because of the basket design and an annoying connector for the hoses at the top but I am willing to overlook these. laugh.gif

Filters:

Corner filter : DIY but i use a clear plastic container very cheap and effective and not so unsightly as the old icecream container

HOB: Aqua clear are the best , quiet and sponges are reusable

Internal power filter: Eheim quiet and for the size very efficient

Canister: i have never used one myself but my sister uses Eheim and of all the brands she has used and there has been a few it proved to be the best , it is extremely reliable, efficient and quiet and well worth the money.

cheers

Guest Gutty

Not much to edit Dave.

Value for money:

Corner filter

HOB:

Aquaclear

Internal power filter:

Only ever used Rio, but they give me absolutely no reason to try anything else.

Canister:

Eheim professional series

ive got an eheim cannister on my african tank very quiet and versatile in that you can make up the medea to suit your requirements.on my american tank ive got a bio-life55 this is an internal power filter with a dry chamber built in and alsohas the heater in it (good for oscars & red devils ) im not sure that these are still available so if you see a s/h unit grab it cos their really good they take a stock heater & power head(55gph)i replaced the power head on mine last year after running for over ten years

corner bubbler filters are the chaepest by far, either DIY or bought. as far as asthetics go, you can cover them with fist size rocks or wood. easy

HOB again with the aquaclear< I have a 500 and its a champion

Canister...mmmm.. havent purchased any but I will say my DIY canister rules best Filter I have ever had, 50 liters capacity, 1800l/hour pump, clean out twice a year (half the media each time), $220.

Currently making a 60liter canister, 4800l/hour for the new 8 footer.

• 1 month later...

If you are serious, build yourself a wet /dry filter (mini reef) using old tank or plastic container. You can make it as quiet/powerfull as you like and the best thing is it last much longer, more flexible... My filter is ten time capacity of any filter available on the market so I can keep more fish and take much longer time to clean.

From what I've seen, with the amount of fishes I squeze in my tank, no conmercial filter can cope with it (unless clean them every two weeks).

Guest Gutty
Would any body know where to buy a cheap water tight container for DIY canister? Second hand would be prefer. Thanks

A peice of plumbers pipe with 2 end caps. Pick the diameter you like.

Internal: I love the Otto internal, and I have 3. They run very well, are quiet, and I love the fact that the casing for the sponges are clear plastic. This way I can see the condition of the sponge and know when a clean is needed. No more guessing.

Canister: Eheim. I have a PRO 2 and another brand running on my big tank, and I have to clean the other brand 3 times as often as it clogs up too quickly. Very quiet and works very well.

sutchi.

• 4 weeks later...

Value for money:

Undergravel- cheap & effective if maintained, but limits choice of substrate & fish (non-digging).

HOB:

I used an Aquaclear for many years but i'm not overly keen on HOB's. They seem fragile, they don't generate as much flow in the aquarium, and i like my tanks to have tight fitting lids.

Internal power filter:

I had a an old Fluval 4 that gave great service (lasted 10yrs!). I only have 1 or 2 internals as back-ups now, since they are more inconvenient to clean, and require more frequent cleaning than canisters. They also take up tank space.

Canister:

Had a Magnum that performed well for a long, long time but was deficient in design(mainly no flexibility with media). I have a fairly new Fluval 304 that is quiet and effective but haven't had it long enough to recommend them.

cheers

Glenn

• 5 months later...

Archived